Celiac.com Sponsor:


Celiac.com Sponsor:

  • Join Our Community!

    Get help in our celiac / gluten-free forum.

  • Jefferson Adams

    After Rising 11% in 2015, Will US Gluten-free Retail Sales Slow to 6%?

    Jefferson Adams


    0
    Reviewed and edited by a celiac disease expert.   eNewsletter: Get our eNewsletter

      After high double-digit growth, is global gluten-free market set to cool?


    Caption: Photo: CC--Markheybo

    Celiac.com 01/27/2017 - US retail sales of gluten-free products rose 11% in 2015, and are predicted to rise a more modest 6% to $1.66bn in 2016, according to a new report from Packaged Facts, which predicts that as the market matures, growth rates are "expected to slow considerably."

    To provide context, Packaged Facts notes that growth rates have slowed from 81% in 2013 and 30% in 2014 to 11% in 2015, and predicts they will settle at a steady 5-6% a year in the next five years.



    Celiac.com Sponsor:




    Unlike some other market research reports, which include everything with a gluten-free label in their market definitions, even those product that typically contain no gluten, Packaged Facts does not. The Packaged Facts reports are notable because they focus more closely on traditionally grain-based product categories: Salty Snacks, Crackers, Fresh Bread, Pasta, Cold (ready-to-eat) Cereal, Baking Mixes, Cookies, Flour, and Frozen Bread/Dough.

    They do not cover "naturally gluten-free foods," such as potato chips or ready-to-eat popcorn, and do not include things like gluten free frozen pizza, lasagna, stuffing mix or entrees

    The latest report notes that, while the market is maturing, it is still quite fragmented. Packaged Facts notes that only Hain Celestial and Pinnacle Foods have market shares exceeding 10%.

    Read more about the Packaged Facts report.

    0

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.



    Join the conversation

    You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About Me

    Jefferson Adams is Celiac.com's senior writer and Digital Content Director. He earned his B.A. and M.F.A. at Arizona State University, and has authored more than 2,500 articles on celiac disease. His coursework includes studies in science, scientific methodology, biology, anatomy, medicine, logic, and advanced research. He previously served as SF Health News Examiner for Examiner.com, and devised health and medical content for Sharecare.com. Jefferson has spoken about celiac disease to the media, including an appearance on the KQED radio show Forum, and is the editor of the book "Cereal Killers" by Scott Adams and Ron Hoggan, Ed.D.

  • Related Articles

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/22/2015 - The gluten-free foods market has seen dramatic growth over the past decade and its size is expected to double its present size in the next 10 years.
    For the last few years, there's been pretty strong consensus on projected growth for the global gluten-free market, with analysts universally projecting strong double-digit growth into 2025.
    If recent...

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 11/12/2015 - The gluten-free products market is growing rapidly in areas that traditionally see a good deal of wheat consumption.
    The European market for gluten-free products is set to see the highest growth, with a projected a CAGR of 10.4%, reaching $7.59 billion in 2020.
    Until recently, North America was the largest growing market, followed by the European...

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 12/18/2015 - Flour is a major global business, and flours of all kinds constitute a major part of the growing global food industry. Global flour markets are directly impacted by the growing processed food industry. Recent years have seen a notable expansion of the global flour market in terms of increased global demand and production capacity.
    Fueled by changing customer...

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 10/07/2016 - Sales of gluten-free products continue to rise, with global the market expected to approach $5 billion by 2021, up from $2.84 billion in 2014, according to a new report from Transparency Market Research.
    Analysts are projecting annual revenue growth of about 7.7% across the sector from 2015 to 2021. They also project that, by 2021, North America will...



  • A12 Celiac.com Sponsor:




  • Forum Discussions

    No, the studies are NOT very clear.   If they were, leading celiac research centers would be recommending an AN-PEP as a treatment for the prevention or reduction of cross contamination (not a replacement for the gluten free diet).  But it M...
    With a positive TTG IgA it's about a 98% chance you have a celiac disease but there is a 2% chance you could have a false positive caused by another autoimmune disease. That's why they do the biopsies, you don't want to have an incorrect DX...
    I certainly had many more sinus/ear infections before I went gluten-free. I have a brother that is not a celiac but does have Sarcoidosis and your case sounds similar to his. He is only 34. Only way to find out for sure is to have the testing...