Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Mexican-style Chicken Lime Soup (Gluten-Free)
Mexican-style Chicken Lime Soup (Gluten-Free)
Celiac.com 12/03/2015 - Fall almost always gets me on a soupy kick, and I'm always on the hunt for recipes I haven't tried yet. This one is a winner. This simple, delicious style of chicken soup is commonly known in Mexico of soup as Sopa De Lima. This version blends chicken and stock with herbs, spices, onions, tomatoes, chili peppers, fresh cilantro, and plenty of lime juice, to deliver a delicious soup.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 large green chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 limes, juiced
- ½ lime
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
- ½ cup tortilla chips, for topping
In a large pot, heat the chicken broth, chicken breasts, red onion, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and thyme until they begin to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken breasts are cooked through, and the juices run clear, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove the cooked chicken to a cutting board. Let it cool a bit, then shred it down to smaller strips; return strips to the simmering pot.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook the green onions and green chile pepper in the hot oil until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
Stir the tomatoes into the mixture and continue cooking about 3-5 minutes until soft; pour the mixture into the pot with the chicken soup.
Season with the salt; return the soup to a simmer.
Add the lime juice and ½ a lime; cook another 8-10 minutes. Remove lime half.
Remove the pot from the heat.
Serve in bowls, topped with cilantro and tortilla chips.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Toasted Chicken with Arugula Guacamole (Gluten-Free)
1 cup cashews1 cup arugula, chopped1 cup fresh spinach1 tsp.... [READ MORE]
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Gluten-Free)
When I was in Guanajuato, Mexico, years back, the woman who cooked at the house where I was a guest prepared the most delicious chicken tortilla soup.... [READ MORE]
Flour Tortillas (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from jmreed in the Gluten-Free Forum.... [READ MORE]
Chicken Taco Soup (Gluten-Free)
Makes about 8 servings
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle of gluten-free beer OR water
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 (1.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams