Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Roasted Tomato Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Roasted Tomato Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Vegetables being roasted for salsa. Photo--CC: Jason Lander
Celiac.com 08/02/2016 - Fresh salsa may be king of summer snacking, but roasted salsa is definitely the queen. After the sun goes down, this roasted salsa will be sure to have hungry snackers smiling.
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 2 ripe tomatillos
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-3 Serrano chili peppers, stemmed, de-seeded (use less for milder salsa)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from one lime, plus more if needed
Lightly oil a large cast iron skillet, and heat to medium high.
Place the tomatoes, tomatillos, onions, garlic, and Serrano chile peppers in the pan and heat, turning until they are softened and charred, about 10 minutes or so. You can also do this under the broiler.
Transfer the softened and charred vegetables and pan juices to a food processor.
Add one Serrano pepper here, and add others as desired after tasting.
Add the salt and cumin and pulse until just slightly chunky.
Add the cilantro and fresh lime juice, and pulse until the cilantro is well-chopped.
Adjust seasoning with salt and more lime juice, as desired.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Gluten-Free)
These grilled shrimp tacos are just the thing for the grill.... [READ MORE]
Ceviche with Shrimp and Asparagus (Gluten-Free)
Ceviche is one of my very favorite summertime dishes.... [READ MORE]
Easy Ground Beef Tacos (Gluten-Free)
As a kid, the first tacos I ever had were far from traditional Mexican style tacos.... [READ MORE]
Tasty Pico de Gallo Salsa (Gluten-Free)
It's hard to love Mexican food without loving salsa.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams