Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Mexican-style Roasted Corn on the Cob (Gluten-Free)
Mexican-style Roasted Corn on the Cob (Gluten-Free)
Mexican-style corn on the cob is an easy summer treat. Photo: CC--Migle
Celiac.com 09/06/2016 - Summer means corn, and roasted Mexican-style corn is one of the best gluten-free summertime treats I know. This recipe is sure to leave lots of full stomachs and happy smiles.
- 6-8 ears fresh corn, un-shucked
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- 6 ounces queso Cotija, finely grated
- Spice mixture (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the spice mixture, combine all ingredients. Sprinkle over roasted corn as desired.
Soak the corn in cold water for 1 hour.
Heat the grill.
Put the soaked ears on the hot grill and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, turning frequently.
While the corn is grilling, make the lime butter.
In a small bowl, add the butter, lime juice, tarragon and salt and pepper, to taste.
Mix well and spread onto a large plate.
Take the corn off the grill and carefully peel back the husks (they will be hot).
Remove the corn silk and tie the husks in a knot so you can hold onto it like a handle. Roll the corn in the butter.
Top with a good amount of Cotija cheese and sprinkle with the spice mixture.
For a variation, smear corn with mayonnaise instead of lime butter, and use spices as desired.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Cotija Cheese (Gluten-Free)
In Mexico and many points south, grilled corn is a staple, delicious snack.... [READ MORE]
Ceviche with Shrimp and Asparagus (Gluten-Free)
Ceviche is one of my very favorite summertime dishes.... [READ MORE]
New Mexico-style Green Chile Stew (Gluten-Free)
One of the best things I ever ate was the green-chile stew I had at a restaurant in Taos, New Mexico the name of which I don't remember.... [READ MORE]
Pico de Gallo & Salsa Verde (Gluten-Free)
These recipes come from Sandy Metius.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams