Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black coffee = wide awake and alert morning

Coffee with creamer = tired, groggy, and a headache

Anyone else notice these symptoms? I always thought coffee just didnt do anything to me. I used to even drink coffee and go to sleep at night, but I'm pretty sure it was just dairy! It must be a pretty strong reaction to overcome coffee.

I feel like I've discovered coffee for the first time haha.

Coffee affects me more being gluten free. I've been dairy free almost as long as I've been gluten free, and coffee's always had a strong effect on me regardless. I don't think dairy made me groggy specifically, but I think it may have caused body temp fluctuations.

When I was a kid, I always loved sniffing the coffee can right after Mom opened it. Then I'd ask her for a sip of her coffee and I HATED it! She put cream and sugar in it. I was 18 years old when I happened to be REALLY tired while at someone's house. They offered me coffee and even though I didn't like coffee, I had some. They didn't have any cream or sugar in their house so I drank it black.

I had been looking for that flavor all my life! I loved it. I have been drinking coffee ever since and even though you may laugh, I send up a little prayer of thanks to God every morning when I have that first sip.

Anyway, I was told that milk or cream react with the coffee to make an acid. Any dairy in my coffee has always made me queasy, even before celiac.

I'm the same way. If I have my coffee black (my preference), no issues at all. But my daughter brought home a flavored creamer (non-dairy, she has severe milk allergies), I felt horrible! So I just stick with what i like and what doesn't make me sick.