This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pancreatitis

minamoe

minamoe Newbie

I was just recently diagnosed with Celiacs almost three weeks ago. As of yet, we cannot find any genetic history in our family. However, we did read some literature that said pancreatitis was common with Celiacs. My uncle almost died from this over the summer. Does anyone else have pancreatitis. I was also wondering if there is anyone with Turner's Syndrome with no genetic history of Celiacs with it, as I have Turner's as well. Just wondering.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluelotus Contributor

Turner's syndrome has to do with one of your x-chromosomes. Celiac disease is thought to be on a different chrom (if it was on x, or x-assoc, more males than females would likely have it). Someone correct me, but I think celiac disease is assoc with chrom 6 or 16 (I think there is a 6 in there somewhere). Anyway, I hope it helps.

bluelotus Contributor

Forgot to mention too - I hadn't heard about the pancreatitis assoc, although I would not be suprised, however, I know it is assoc with gall bladder issues too. Both of those organs are involved with digestion and processing various items, so if something is wrong with the dig. tract, it would easily follow that assoc organs would experience trouble.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I did some research on the connection between pancreatitis and celiac disease:

Open Original Shared Link

I was getting really concerned that I wasn't getting better after like 11 months on the diet, so I started doing a lot of research on other possible problems that I could have. Turns out I just needed longer to get better. I am fine now, unless I get glutened.

jenvan Collaborator

i don't have pancreatitis, but a woman in my local support group does. it can be very difficult to get rid of. and yes, there can be a link between it and celiac.

Lauren M Explorer

Oh... my...!!!

I had NO idea there was a link. I had pancreatitis 2 months before I was diagnosed celiac disease. I almost died. It was the most painful experience of my LIFE. I always thought it might have triggered my celiac disease. Maybe it was the other way around....?

This is VERY interesting to me. Anyone else had pancreatitis?

- Lauren

minamoe Newbie

I know what chromosomes are affected by Turner's. My brother-in-law was tested for Celiacs in the spring and my sister says she saw some research saying there was a link between Celiacs and Turners, as in there is a high prevalance of Turner's girls and women having Celiacs. I do not recall seeing this in any of the lists of medical conditions common with Turners, but I was just wondering.

Thanks for the feedback on the pacreatitis. I have a co worker who also has Celiacs and she gave me Lifeline, from the Celiac Sprue Association, and there were two articles on the connection...in England, anyone with pancreatitis is automatically tested for Celiacs. Outside of Turner's, my uncle having Celiacs as well is the only link I can find. Thanks again for the input!

Turner's syndrome has to do with one of your x-chromosomes.  Celiac disease is thought to be on a different chrom (if it was on x, or x-assoc, more males than females would likely have it).  Someone correct me, but I think celiac disease is assoc with chrom 6 or 16 (I think there is a 6 in there somewhere).  Anyway, I hope it helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
bluelotus Contributor

Hi again - didn't mean to offend by mentioning Turner's was an issue related to your x-chrom.

I am reading "Dangerous Grains" and they mention that people with Turner's should be tested for celiac disease. I am only half way through the book, and so far, they haven't elaborated any more then just that statement.

terri Contributor

My dad died from pancreatitis. He was always ill every night after eating and only 56 when he died. I wonder if he was an undiagnosed celiac? Guess I'll never know.

• 1 month later...
tasha77 Newbie
Oh... my...!!!

I had NO idea there was a link. I had pancreatitis 2 months before I was diagnosed celiac disease. I almost died. It was the most painful experience of my LIFE. I always thought it might have triggered my celiac disease. Maybe it was the other way around....?

This is VERY interesting to me. Anyone else had pancreatitis?

- Lauren

Just joined. I had acute pancreatitis in 2001, then chronic all these years. Lots of doctors and tests and procedures. Told it was idiopathic (unknown origin). I never believed it was really pancreatitis. Had gall bladder out a long time ago. Recently read a book, Perricone Prescription. The initial two-week eating plan sounded sensible to me. Easy to do since I enjoy broccoli, spinach, sardines, apples, etc. Only eating organic fresh foods, nothing processed. Lo and behold, no more abdominal pain. None. For Thanksgiving, ate bread and pie. Pain. Tried pasta, more pain. Fortunately, organic food is nearby, and it's just me, so no temptation in the house. No doctor ever mentioned celiac but friends did. It's great to be pain free!

yaso Newbie

I'm curious about something. celiac disease and wheat intolerance has been showing up on my mother's side of the family for the last 8 years. She has recently been daignosed with pancreatic cancer and I was wondering if there was a possible connection. I know diet isn't going to turn this around but I wondered if it might help.

Archived