• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jpsych

Itching...

Rate this topic

Hello all!

I have recently been diagnosed as having celiac. I have been itching daily but I do not have a rash. Anyone had similar troubles? My doctor suggested taking Benedryl to take the edge off.

Thanks, and y'all have been so helpful already.

Malnutrition and/or dehydration can cause the itchiness.

Possibly, sensitivity to the sun as well.

Prior to my dx I couldn't scratch enough!

Once I started absorbing the good stuff again -

it subsided. Now the only itch I have is from my allergens.

im having the same problem!!! no rash, but im itchy everywhere, even on my scalp. i was diagnosed with celiac disease in April... ive tried creams but nothing is helping!!

Hello all!

I have recently been diagnosed as having celiac. I have been itching daily but I do not have a rash. Anyone had similar troubles? My doctor suggested taking Benedryl to take the edge off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like you might have dermatitis herpetiformis—that's what I have. Lots of celiacs get DH. It's a really really itchy rash with bumps and blisters too. A dermatologist can do a biopsy to check for sure. A gluten-free diet will really really help.

Hello all!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My 'history' began with dermatographism - a rare skin disorder that causes deep welt like ridges in the skin and the skin retains marks for hours. It also itches and sometimes turns very red. Details of this are unimportant for this post except to lead into a response to your question. When this weird stuff went away I began a 10 year long nightmare of itching - no rash.This was accompanied by severe cold chills. I had allergy tests and was told I was the least allergic person they had tested. No answers anywhere.

The answer was found 10 years later when I was diagnosed Type II, Delayed Food Reactions - primarily all grains except rice and oats. Unfortunately the test did not specify gluten - just grains. Within the week that I stopped eating bread and flour saturated products - the itching and the chills stopped. I still have mini episodes but nothing at all like the 'seige'.

Skip the Benedryl if you can. Get rid of the gluten. Ask your doctor for a prescription for Axid - this ulcer medication has a side benefit of mitigating the itching of psoriasis and any other itching.

Topical application of Solarcane does wonders. Claire

If gluten-free doesn't take that symptom away - look for other reactive foods in your diet. Claire

I had an itching problem from head to toe for about 18 months before being diagnosed with celiac disease. The dermatologist told me I had hyper-sensitive skin. He told me to use Benedryl, too and he gave me a couple of cortisone shots along the way. I stopped taking the Benedryl after a short while when I found that using plain aloe all over relieved the itch for about 12 hours.

After going gluten-free for about a month, I found the itch started to go away. I'm six months gluten-free at this point and I'd say the itch is about 95% gone, so hang in there. I hope the gluten-free diet helps.

Joe

Here is another symptom that I didn't realize was associated with celiac. It seems as though my husband is one of those "lucky" people who gets all the symptoms. He is itchy a lot. We try different lotions & such but to no avail. Hopefully when we hit the 6 month mark gluten free that some of these symptoms will subside.

Sometimes I get itchy from head to toe, and scratch so much that I have red welts all over! But I think it is starting to get a little better. And of course, I have a long way to go before I'll be at the six month mark for my gluten-free diet. So, I am hoping it will go away eventually.

I too have the itching, but it didn't occur to me that it was from the celiac. I do get relief from vitamin b complex, but if I take it too often, I get sores in my mouth.

A couple of suggestions for the 'itching ones'.

Anithistimines work but a steady of diet of these is not healthy and tends to make some people loopy.

There is a medication for ulcers called Axid (150mg). It was accidently discovered that this helped the itching of psoriasis. One pill is usually enough to calm down the itching - takes an hour or so.

When I was having constant itching - especially at night - I relied heavily on Solarcane. That's right - the sunburn stuff. It deadens the sensation in the nerves close to the skin surface. It works for hours.

I still have mini episodes but nothing like the ten year siege that ended when I stopped eating bread and other flour saturated foods. Gluten is not the only thing that causes me to itch though it is the principal offender. Claire

I too have the itching, but it didn't occur to me that it was from the celiac.  I do get relief from vitamin b complex, but if I take it too often, I get sores in my mouth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure B comples is causing the mouth sores? I ask because the mouth sores are common for people with celiac. Claire

My 'history' began with dermatographism - a rare skin disorder that causes deep welt like ridges in the skin and the skin retains marks for hours. It also itches and sometimes turns very red. Details of this are unimportant for this post except to lead into a response to your question. When this weird stuff went away I began a 10 year long nightmare of itching - no rash.This was accompanied by severe cold chills. I had allergy tests and was told I was the least allergic person they had tested.  No answers anywhere. 

The answer was found 10 years later when I was diagnosed Type II, Delayed Food Reactions - primarily all grains except rice and oats. Unfortunately the test did not specify gluten - just grains. Within the week that I stopped eating bread and flour saturated products - the itching and the chills stopped.  I still have mini episodes but nothing at all like the 'seige'.

Skip the Benedryl if you can.  Get rid of the gluten. Ask your doctor for a prescription for Axid - this ulcer medication has a side benefit of mitigating the itching of psoriasis and any other itching.

Topical application of Solarcane does wonders. Claire

If gluten-free doesn't take that symptom away - look for other reactive foods in your diet. Claire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi Claire,

Do you tolerate oat?I want to try it for my son.How often do you eat oat?

thanks

Elisabet, unless you're in Europe, oats are out. Here in North America they're all contaminated by gluten containing grains (processed in the same mill, I guess).

And oats aren't safe in most of Europe, either. In Finland and Sweden you can get oats that are grown on dedicated fields, but that's only two countries I know of. Maybe rest of Scandinavia , too?

Pauliina

hi Claire,

Do you tolerate oat?I want to try it for my son.How often do you eat oat?

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a safety measure, I do not eat oats. There is a high risk of contamination. Claire