This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Rice Is Making Us Sick!

Angelmomh2

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

When I was first diagnosed gluten intolerant, I found I could not tolerate grains of any kind. I haven't tried any of them again yet because I am still recovering and don't want to have problems. I believe there are many people who are able to incorporate gluten free grains back into their diet again successfully and others who are not. Don't know which one I will be yet. I do know that with time it gets easier to accept the limitations without feeling deprived.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gilligan Enthusiast

I've always been an oatmeal girl, but unfortunately at this point, I cannot eat oats even certified gluten-free one.  I loved the texture of oatmeal, and that it was always eaten warm.  I tried Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Hot Cereal, but even though it is labeled gluten free, it didn't sit well with me.  

I agree that Lundberg is a great brand!  I ended up buying the sushi rice even though I don't have any intention of actually making sushi in the near future  :) It has a great creamy consistency without anything added, but I do enjoy adding Earth Balance spread to it.  I haven't found the sushi type in many stores, but I did find it at Whole Foods.  I was told in my nutrition class last semester that rice is the least reactive food, so if patients are having a hard time with different grains, a dietician will try rice.

http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/packaged_rice/Sushi_Organic.aspx

Andrew, I really think it depends on the person.  Brown rice feels like it sits in my stomach, but white rice feels like it processes right on through.  To each their own  :)

When I was first having tummy issues, my gi told me to eat white rice - not brown.  Brown is more fibrous and may not digest as easily.

• 4 years later...
Moggy Apprentice

I are rice, golden star Jasmine, after going totally grain free for a week, and feeling much better...and im sick again. Just d, no new dh lesions. 

I'll try lundburg once my stomach is feeling better. 

The cannot eat quinoa, now rice. Please God, leave me corn and soy!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Moggy said:

I are rice, golden star Jasmine, after going totally grain free for a week, and feeling much better...and im sick again. Just d, no new dh lesions. 

I'll try lundburg once my stomach is feeling better. 

The cannot eat quinoa, now rice. Please God, leave me corn and soy!

Grain free, low carb high fat diet is pretty good, look up Paleo and Keto meals, quite a few options. I had to give up all that and found the diet to work wonders for my life.

• 3 weeks later...
LilyR Rising Star

I guess everyone is different so you and your husband and child might have to experiment a bit, and all three of you could end up finding foods you are okay with or that bother you. For me, I seem okay with white rice. I have been using Minute Rice and Uncle Ben's.  I also enjoy a product called Against the Grain that makes pita breads, rolls, pizza crust, and bagels and only use white rice flour (no corn flour,etc).  But for me, I seem to have trouble with brown rice, brown rice flour, and rice bran.  Also I am testing out, but seems I might be having trouble with soy, and also corn, and xantham gum.  

I hope you and your family find some foods you love that don't bother you.  Avoiding gluten has helped me stop the severe stomach pains, but I am now trying to figure out what foods, other than gluten, cause the stomach distention and bloat for me.  I saw an article online that said people who have issues with gluten often have issues with soy, corn, oats (even gluten-free ones), and dairy.  It is a real bummer, that's for sure. I miss corn bread, corn chips, popcorn, etc.  And it's amazing how many products contain some for of corn like corn syrup or corn starch or corn flour.  Not to mention products that contain some form of soy or xantham gum.  

Was there anything you were putting on your rice that could have been the culprit?  Or did you just use some salt or butter? If you put a sauce on it or eat anything specific with it, maybe it was something else?  Or ya, I guess the rice brand?  I know Minute Rice is like the overprocessed "junk" quick rice, but because of that, I think that is why it's easy on my stomach.  Fiber seems to bother me a lot.  I am hoping as my stomach heals more maybe that will get better and I will be able to tolerate it more, but right now I try to avoid high fiber foods and gassy foods like broccoli or too many beans.  

Good luck with it.  How are you all with potatoes?  I make roasted ones, baked one, mashed, and have been making baked french fries a lot since going gluten-free.  Last night I put parmesan cheese and black pepper on the baked fries and they were so yummy.  Now I just need to start buying a ketchup that doesn't have any soy or corn syrup, etc. in it.  Baby steps.  I'm getting there. I hope you will too. 

• 3 months later...
Sage6 Newbie

I thought was eating completely gluten-free, using great caution, but I still was getting tiny blisters on my elbows, a sign that gluten was, nonetheless, in my diet. 

Finally, I ran out of the brown rice I regularly purchased in the Asian section of my chain grocery store. It didn't say "gluten-free." It said, "Rice is gluten-free." That's different. Sure, rice is gluten-free, but their product may not be if it's contaminated.

At any rate, I kept forgetting to buy more rice as one bag lasts for a while and I don't buy it at every store visit. After about two weeks, I noticed that the blisters were shrinking and healing. I'd had dozens of them, most not popped so not scarring or red, but they were diminishing and the red popped ones were healing. It's been about three weeks, and they are almost completely healed. 

I've also noticed that my young adult son's acne has dramatically cleared up. It had improved greatly once he stopped eating outside the house, but with three weeks off that rice, the acne is at about 10% of what it was while he was eating outside the house sometimes and significantly less than what it was before we ran out of that rice. 

Because rice has arsenic, I was only buying rice that was grown in California because of my thought that it was less contaminated than rice from some other areas. Because of the improvement I've seen in my skin and my son's skin, I'm ready to ditch rice. If I really want it, I might try the exact products others said produced no symptoms. But, we don't "need" rice to be healthy, so I'm fine with just avoiding grains. 

LilyR Rising Star

Everyone is different. For me, I had some brown rice pasta and it caused pain and stomach distention while I was still eating it, hadn't even finished my dinner yet. Where as some white rice and white rice flour products seem better to me.  I did seem to have trouble with Minute Rice. I just tried Uncle Ben's and I think it was okay, but my stomach was already so-so the day I ate it. However, I did not feel any worse afterwards.  There are also brands of rice like long grain, etc. in the rice aisle that are not the typical names we are used to (like Minute Rice, etc) that I just got to try. Not sure how it will go yet.  

I also seem okay with eating pita breads and the rolls from Against The Grain, which are located in the freezer gluten-free section of some grocery stores.  Those are made with things like white rice flour, tapioca starch, and the rolls I think also have mozzarella in them. 

If any of you keep having problems, I read an article saying many people who cannot tolerate gluten also have problems with soy, corn, and some even with dairy.  We are all learning what works for us and what bothers us.  Sometimes I wish it was as easy as just not eating gluten.  Also keep in mind any vitamins or medications (over the counter or prescriptions) that any of you get.  I have been having a doozy of a time getting my prescriptions changed to versions that are gluten-free, corn-free, and soy-free.  I am still working on one.  Hang in there. I hope you all find things you enjoy that also keep you feeling well. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived