Rate this topic

Hi, My name is Lori and I am trying to figure out what is going on with my 3yr old daughter, and I am of course driving myself nuts researching while I wait for her test results. I am going to write up a list of her symptoms and see if any of this sounds familiar to anyone. I was led here by multiple internet searches that keep steering me towards Celiac disease. Thank you in advance for your help. Even if this does not sound like Celiac can anyone point me in another direction?

>The main symptom that triggered the concern has been the loss of 4 baby teeth with 2 more that are currently loose. She will not be 4 until almost June and she has lost all of them since Sept 2013. The teeth do not show any signs of decay. They just get loose and fall out. She lost all 4 of them with in 5 months. 

>2nd symptom is chronic stomach pain. She complains of stomach main every day and has for a couple of months. She is currently taking Zantac to see if that helps but so far it is not. She has occasional diarrhea but nothing that was causing me real concern.  

>She has asthma. She was diagnosed over a year ago and other than a couple of months here and there she is never really under control. She has had basic allergy testing which came back positive for dogs, dust mites and mold. 

>She has not gained hardly any weight in close to 2 years. On the other hand she is tall for her age but very skinny. Just no weight gain to speak of. 

>She is very clumsy. She can fall down leaning against a wall. She has always been accident prone. 

That is everything I can think of for now. I feel like I am missing something, I will add anything I think of. We are currently waiting on her blood work, urinalysis etc. We are also being told to see a Hematologist.

The reason I am here is because when I search for early tooth loss and other combinations of symptoms Celiac keeps popping up. 

Last Friday her pediatrician ordered the following tests:

Complete Blood Count with Diff

Comprehensive Metabolic Panel

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone

Urinalysis Microscopic if Indicated

Vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy Total

XRay Bone Age Study (Xray of her Left hand)

Calcium/ Creatinine Ratio Random

Do any of these symptoms really fit with Celiac Disease? Does any of this sound familiar. Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Welcome Lori and little one!

Yes, all of those symptoms can be associated with Celiac Disease and she should have a complete celiac antibody panel.

Request written copies of all her labs.

If gluten is an issue you may see low nutrients in the CMP, Calcium or D panels.  Sometimes there are indicators on the CBC as well...but not always.

Hang in there Mom and keep asking questions!

Welcome to the Forum!

I agree with GottaSki that your daughter's symptoms defininitely fit Celiac and she should have the full panel of blood work done.  And while I don't have kids myself, I just wanted to add that I believe testing in young children can be trickier than it is in adults because they may not be old enough to have produced enough antibodies for them to show up on the tests in the numbers that would appear for an adult.  So even if the tests come back "inconclusive" or a "weak positive", you may want to ask that the doctor do the endoscopy to check for villi damage just to be sure.

Good  luck and let us know how you make out.

Thank you both. I also want to add that she has had a red rash on her buttocks all winter that I thought was dry skin. Now I see that is another symptom. I will be glad to be on the other side of this testing so that we can get started on whatever needs to be done. 

These are the tests you should ask for:

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG

EMA IgA

total serum IgA control test

There are also tests for the genes involved, although not everyone who has the genes gets celiac, and some people WITHOUT the genes do.