CathyO

Disappointed In Seth Meyers Tonight

Rate this topic

I'm tired of the rampant jokes about "gluten free" people.
First the New Yorker magazine.

Now Seth Meyers made a joke about a dating site for gluten free people, and said something about "the most annoying people."

I was angry enough to go to the show's facebook page and post something.

It's not a lifestyle choice for me -- it's a matter of life and death.

Won't be watching his Late Night Show any longer.

Boo.

https://www.facebook.com/LateNightSeth

Yeah,

I've been raging pretty hard over these "scientific" social media ads lambasting the gluten free lifestyle (regardless of the reason). Who cares? It's no ones business and it's certainly not hurting anyone other than the person partaking in the diet. (which is isn't). Oh, you don't like to hear someone talking about gluten free? It's annoying to you? Well deal with it and go talk to someone else or mind your own damn business. 

I heard the same stuff when I was vegetarian (for ethical reasons). I still would be if it wasn't so hard/inconvenient to find protein.

UGH

Well, to some extent I think it's funny.

There are a lot of people doing gluten-free to be hipsters and I think that is more what he's making fun of.

I think most of us here have medical/health reasons why we are gluten-free but there are a good number of hipster types doing it as well.

IMO, if it is really about the hipsters I don't have an issue with it. I people make fun of people like me who are big Star Wars fans as well, no biggie.

I guess I've not experienced the hipster gluten free movement.  I live in a very rural area, with a large Amish population. Not so many Amish hipsters. The rest of the community supports a military base ... again, not a big hipster group.

So, people choose to be gluten free for fun?

Huh.

Not something I'd find entertaining.  :)

I guess I've not experienced the hipster gluten free movement.  I live in a very rural area, with a large Amish population. Not so many Amish hipsters. The rest of the community supports a military base ... again, not a big hipster group.

So, people choose to be gluten free for fun?

Huh.

Not something I'd find entertaining.  :)

Yeah, there are hipsters out there that latch on to certain things as some sort of proof of their "coolness". Sort of like some people that are vegetarian or vegan are pretty aggressive about pointing out that they are just that.  It puts them in what they perceive to be "the cool crowd".

While I'm doing great with the gluten-free lifestyle, I'd prefer I didn't have to adhere to it. :blink: