Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Check12344

Anxiety/recovery

Rate this topic

I have been living in a state of panic for the last year. I am 23 and formerly extremely ambitious and social. I am now hermit like and my sole ambition is to get better.

My IgA (gliadin)test was high, as was my IgM (Lyme) test although all western blot (more accurate) Lyme tests were completely negative.

I have been Gluten free for 1.5 months. My dizziness, overly emotional reactions have subsided with this diet, yet I continue to have extreme anxiety. How long did it take your anxiety to subside?

I am 100% gluten free, on a variety of supplements and just can't kick it. Any advice is appreciated.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm so sorry you're going through this! For me, the anxiety went away quickly  -- but not all of it. I found that like many celiacs, dairy also gives me problems. When I cut out gluten and ALL dairy, I went from being extremely anxious and self-condemning to having a calm and peaceful mind. For this, I thank God!

Join eNewsletter

Hey all,

I have the same reaction as the original poster. 

I'm 23, was diagnosed this past winter, have been gluten-free since March. 

The first 6 weeks I was on that high that everyone talks about after they finally have answers.

But as of late, the physical problems are back with no gluten, and my anxiety is through the roof. My GP gave me klonipin and wants me to take Buspar (has anyone ever been on it?), my OBGYN wants me on a new BC pill, and my therapist isn't sure I need any of these things. Friends talk about acupuncture helping them. 

Has the combo of any of these things helped you guys as you healed? i have no idea what normal is any more. If I'm not hungry I worry, if I'm very hungry I worry, if I go to the bathroom too many times or not enough I worry. I am on absolute high alert about myself and It's killed my social life and self esteem. Someone please help.

Join eNewsletter

Hey all,

The first 6 weeks I was on that high that everyone talks about after they finally have answers.

But as of late, the physical problems are back with no gluten, and my anxiety is through the roof. My GP gave me klonipin and wants me to take Buspar (has anyone ever been on it?), my OBGYN wants me on a new BC pill, and my therapist isn't sure I need any of these things. Friends talk about acupuncture helping them.

Has the combo of any of these things helped you guys as you healed? i have no idea what normal is any more. If I'm not hungry I worry, if I'm very hungry I worry, if I go to the bathroom too many times or not enough I worry. I am on absolute high alert about myself and It's killed my social life and self esteem. Someone please help.

After 3-6 months it's time to look for answers. If you truly have gotten rid of all gluten maybe check other food sensitivities/vitamin deficiencies. Also, maybe you have an ongoing gut infection that needs to be repaired by antibiotics. Many people on here wait a year, but I'm more of an act first, and seeing a GI or naturopath may help you progress

Join eNewsletter

Hey all,

I answered in another post, but I think you need to really make sure you are gluten free.  Check meds, stop eating out for now, look at your kitchen (do you live with gluten eaters?).  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Wow, y'all!  I'm fortunate that I've not had the panic attacks you describe, but then again, I've had major depressive disorder for over 20 years.

I just finished Jennifers Way by Jennifer Esposito. She describes her panic attacks and other issues that went hand-in-hand with her un-diagnosed (& then newly diagnosed) Celiac. 

I realize how Celiac is a RANGE (maybe like Autism?) my Celiac can be bad when I get gluttened but not to the degree that some folks have. 

Maybe some of the things Jennifer does & has found can help? (if we are allowed to put in links, I would put in one over to amazon.com....that's where I got a kindle version of her book)  some forums I've been on don't allow that & I'm too new here to rock any boats.....

Join eNewsletter