Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

cbcc1997

Biopsy Results

Rate this topic

Good morning. I received a call on Friday that my biopsy was consistent with Celiac Disease. I received the report today and I am confused with results. This is what it said...

Patchy mild increase in the numbers of intra-epithelial lymphocytes.  The finding of intraepithelial lymphocytosis with preserved villous architecture is a non specific immunological phenomenon that has a large number of possible causes. A mild histological manifestation of gluten sensitivity is one of these causes. 

It then goes on to say that Serology for tissue transglutaminase/deaminated gliadin peptide antibodies is recommended. I believe that is the blood test which I have and is negative. There could by many causes that would increase the numbers. 

Has anyone experienced any report like this? Since my blood test was negative and there could be other causes, do I actually have Celiac Disease?

Thank you. :)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The TTG and the DGP tests are pretty specific for celiac disease.  You need to take a serious look at exactly what celiac blood tests were given.  Did you have the IGA deficiency test as well (it is a control test)?  Were you consuming gluten daily for 8 to 12 weeks prior to the blood draw?  This is the complete panel:

-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA 
-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

(Source: NVSMOM -- ?)

How many biopsies were taken?  At what locations? I personally tested positive on ONLY the DGP IGA and the rest of the celiac blood panel was negative, yet I had severe damage.  They diagnosed you with a Marsh Stage I but there could be more damage.  The small intestine is the size of a tennis court if spread out.  Finding damagd  areas is easy to miss.  

I recommend that you follow the advice of the pathologist and have the COMPLETE celiac panel done.  Be sure to keep eating gluten.  And finally, do some more research on celiac disease.  We are talking about your health.  Untreated celiac disease leads to CANCER! ?

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes! 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter