Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Jenny

Pie Crust Recipes

Rate this topic

Does anyone have a fool-proof pie crust recipe?  Or any tips for making the crust flaky? I have been using Carol Fenster's recipe for pie crust, but can't get it to turn out.  It's a good tasting crust,  just tough. I have made other recipes by Carol Fenster with great success, so I'm pretty sure the problem is me, not the recipe.  I use a food processor to mix it. But, in order to get the ball to form, I have to add a lot more liquid than what the recipe calls for.   By that point, the dough is way over worked and no longer has pea-sized chunks of butter in it.   Any suggestions?

Here's the recipe: http://www.motherearthliving.com/food-and-recipes/recipes/basic-gluten-free-pie-crust-recipe-ze0z1309zmel.aspx

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello there.

I made an entire recipe book with all kinds of gluten free fool proof recipes.

I usualy use coconut flour from Bob's Red Mill. I find it works the best.

Also, you can use regular all purpose flour.

2 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 8 Tb butter (chilled), 1 large egg (lightly beaten), 8-10 Tb ICED water.

Join eNewsletter

Hi there: as you have found, water balance is key to a great pie crust. :) Here is the recipe I like best, and I've tried many. It's flavorful and actually is flaky!  http://flippindelicious.com/2014/11/best-all-butter-gluten-free-pie-crust-pastry.html

If you follow the directions to the letter I believe you will have success. I usually mix mine by hand to get a sense for the dryness of the flour and how much water to add by the teaspoon to get the right texture; you might try this for a while instead of using the food processor. A short rest in the refrigerator also helps immensely, since it gives the flour a chance to absorb the water and the starches to soften, making it easier to roll out. Making pie dough is an art and a hands-on approach helps the overall product, in my opinion. That's the way my grandma did it and she made unbelievably delicious pie. Good luck--you'll get it! 

P.S. I just looked at your recipe. I'm not sure why but I haven't ever had much luck with Carol Fenster's recipes, unfortunately, so don't feel bad! 

Edited by Laura Buss

Join eNewsletter

Thank you for the Flippin Delicious recipe! Going to attempt my first gluten-free pie crust on Christmas to surprise my husband, who eats gluten and thinks his pie days are behind him (since I was diagnosed). Don't worry, it's just us, so if it's a flop, it's not like we're having a crowd over!!

Join eNewsletter

I am totally distressed by the disappearance of Pillsbury's gluten free pie crust that came in a tub. It was really good. The company says they still make it, but the "product finder" says no store within 100 miles of me carries it. Can any of y'all still find it?

Join eNewsletter