Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Good life

corn starch connected with migraines and Sjogrens Syndrome

Rate this topic

Having multiple food sensitivities can be frustrating (and downright painful), but finally identifying one that has been creating havoc in your life is like winning back some of your life. My biggest battle won was discovering the link between my bi-weekly migraines (not good when you are trying to work as a surgeon) and corn-starch (which, as most here know, is in almost everything, including most gluten-free foods). In my case, it was also in the powered gloves and toothpaste I used, plus the medication I took for the migraines!

Corn starch also triggered Sjogren's Syndrome (an immune-mediated situation in which I have no tear production, no nasal mucus and no saliva production - painful!!)  Anyone with chronic dry eye, dry mouth or dry nostrils should research this. Sjogrens, for me, is a mixed blessing/curse. Because it starts very, very quickly when I ingest or get exposed to an intolerable ingredient, I have learned that I can't tolerate some pretty weird things that I wouldn't have suspected would cause trouble.

Short and sweet, the following triggers my migraines and/or Sjogren's Syndrome: corn starch, wheat/barley gluten, apples*, shrimp, cauliflower*, grapes*, plus exposure to artificial fragrances, cedar or pine chips, cat litter, molds & mildews, dog fennel and dust mites. (*even home-grown organic)

Problematic, but dose-dependent: rice, raisins, cats.

A godsend for me, to deal with fibromyalgia and neck/torso pain secondary to a very bad horseback-riding accident, is dry-needling done by my physical therapist. That and deep muscle work have given me a huge chunk of my life back.

For those of you with similar corn-starch sensitivities, BC Powders (aspirin and caffeine) contain no corn starch, and they work well.

My best to all.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Karen G:

Both as someone with Sjogrens and as a retiree with a medical doctorate, I'd love for someone in the Sjogren's research community to look into this, but I have yet to see it. I only know what happens with me very clearly and consistently.

My eyes produce a reduced amount of tears, and my nasal passages a small (not much) amount of mucus, and my mouth a reduced amount of saliva on a good day. However, whenever I eat any of the above mentioned items, or I am exposed to any of the above mentioned things, my eyes, nasal passages and mouth dry up completely within an hour and the effect lasts 24-72 hours.

That is not to say that my Sjogrens comes and goes. It is, however, to say, that my immune system directly flares, when I ingest or get exposed to certain things. Koch's Postulates (if you are familiar with them) are fulfilled.

Jan

Join eNewsletter

I have had Sjogren's Syndrome for well over 30 years and what you describe is most likely due to exposure to allergens, which in tune aggravates your allergies, which in turn aggravate Sjogren's symptoms.  You have many of the non-food allergies I have and continued exposure to them will make symptoms worse, in an indirect way. Your mucous membranes will become irritated and dryer when your allergies are bothering you and it is always amplified if you have Sjogren's.  No need to do medical research on this, it's common sense. 

If you are on any medications, those will most likely dry you out even more.....especially OTC or Rx allergy meds.  You are better off doing immunotherapy for allergies and steer clear of the meds.

I cannot speak for migraines as I am not a headache person and have never had a migraine.  I don't know how long you have been gluten free but I have heard from those with migraines that they see great improvement after going gluten-free.

Join eNewsletter