Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

AaronM761138

caesin enteropathy

Rate this topic

I have been diagnosed with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, antibiotic induced dysbiosis, and irritable bowel.  I got tested for Celiac using blood tests a few years ago, the results were negative, and my colonoscopy was normal.  I do, however, have one celiac gene.    I seem to react very negatively to cow milk- I get constipated for days even after consuming a little bit of it.   Pure whey does not bother me, neither does a little butter.  But milk, cream, or cheese all cause constipation, gas, and bloating that lasts for days.  It can take a long time after accidentally eating some dairy to recover.

Goat milk doesn't bother me, but it's very expensive.  I've pretty much adopted an Asian diet as a result.  I will sometimes eat traditional Mexican food too (it usually does not contain cheese or dairy).

I am getting some testing from Enterolab done but the results will not be back for a few weeks.  I am not sure what the results will be for gluten- I can eat gluten and my stomach doesn't immediately react to it, and it's hard to test for gluten intolerance because so many foods have both gluten and dairy, plus most gluten-rich foods also have indigestible starches which I tend to react negatively to in large amounts (I use beano a lot for nearly every vegetable or grain).  I am wondering, however, if I don't have some kind of casein enteropathy, as I react so strongly to casein.  I have not had an endoscoping examination down into the small intestine, however.  Most GI's I have been to, have been terrible to work with (there are cultural and language issues as most have been indian, or they tell me I just need to take prescription proton pump inhibitors). 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Aaron,

I am sorry that you are still unwell.  

Are you sure you had a complete celiac panel taken?  Do you have the results?  Did you ever have any success abstaining from both dairy and gluten?  Did your symptoms resolve?  How long did you avoid gluten and dairy? 

Perhaps you could push for an endoscopy, that way you would know if you have any small intestinal damage.  Do not give up!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter