Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
kkgirl

Is it possible to be gluten lactose and fructose intolerance

Rate this topic

I'v been gluten intolerant for 6 yrs but last week I was diagnosed with lactose and fructose intolerance.. it it possible to have all three I heard of having gluten and dairy but never all three... i was tested at the gi doctor. I am to go to a diatrition do they have to run the same tests even if I had them? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, it is possible to have many different intolerances.  Here is one theory proposed by Dr. Fasano, a leading celiac disease researcher:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/09/459061317/a-protein-in-the-gut-may-explain-why-some-cant-stomach-gluten

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21248165

Some intolerances resolve on a gluten free diet and some do not.  Others can develop.  I suspect accidental exposure "getting glutened" can contribute to new and existing food intolerances or allergies, but I am not a doctor.  It is just a theory based on personal experience.  I developed rashes, hives and itching after a bad glutening last year.  For all I know (and my doctors don't know either), it could be a new autoimmune disorder.  I have two.....hoping a third never develops.  

I hope you figure it out.  The diet your doctor suggested might help and it could not hurt!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed