Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with DH in 09 and I still break out, but not nearly as bad.     I follow a strict gluten-free diet, but who knows for sure about some meds or the small amounts our Government claims is safe for us.      Exposure to spackle dust at work on construction sites seems to bother my skin the most.     I usually get symmetrical breakouts which is a dead give away, according to my Dermatologist.        Aczone cream works great for me on the hot spots.

Acne are not itchy or only mildly itchy and they look like red bumps with or without white centers. The bumps are quite separated from each other. What did you start to eat after going gluten-free? More fruits and sugary foods? This can trigger acne.  http://www.ehealthstar.com/conditions/acne-vulgaris

Dermatitis herpetiformis can be very itchy and the bumps are more close together and they tend to crust over.

On 7/31/2016 at 1:30 PM, Natalie1980! said:

Is it normal to break out in spots with in early gluten free stages?

It is normal for other intolerances to become apparent once you remove gluten. I don't know why, perhaps as the immune system is free'd from chasing gluten it finds new targets? A lot of coeliacs find they have to cut out dairy as well for example. It's certainly my number one culprit for skin issues. 

It also can take time for removing gluten to have its full effect, as antibodies will remain in the body for up to 6 months. So the reaction could still be to gluten in a way.