Rate this topic

I'm probably celebrating a bit prematurely, and therefore going to jinx myself in posting, but I'm just too excited to wait.  Yesterday marked one full month being officially, committed for life, gluten free.  I've mentioned here a couple of times that in reading the stories and symptoms of others, the more convinced I become that I do in fact have celiac, and have just fallen through the diagnostic cracks.  Well yesterday and today I have become more convinced than ever, which will only help me stay committed and not cheat.  

Let me explain:  first there is that horrible rash which, as it heals, is becoming more recognizable as dermatitis herpetiformis.  (The picture that Squirming Itch posted really helped too, thank you, Squirmy!)  By the way, this morning my hubby commented that my feet are looking a lot better. :)

But the other symptom, that I never really recognized to be a symptom, is the thing I have been most keen to see if going gluten free would improve:  I have had chronic diarrhea since 2002.  That's right, chronic D for fourteen years!  Yes, I mentioned it to several doctors, but they did not seem overly concerned.  "Everone is different, and this is just normal for you," they all said.  So I shrugged it off.  Well yesterday I turned a corner!  I have to say, it's a bit odd-  and even disconcerting to only need the toilet two times in one day, instead of six!  Granted, it's early days yet, and I might see some days where my body's old familiar habits return, but I'm just looking for "fewer and firmer."  Every day I avoid gluten is another day of healing.  

This morning after my husband commented on my improved skin, I told him how I am more convinced that I do have actual celiac disease, but it would be nice to have a lab report to help me stay convinced in those moments of doubt.  I asked him if he also is the type to need a lab report, and he replied, "No, I have all the proof I need just looking at you."  That made me feel a lot better, knowing he is also convinced, and supports my self-diagnosis.

So... Happy Month-A-Versary to me!   Cheers! :D

Cheers to you Fundog!

Congrats on seeing improvement and having a fantastically supportive husband. :)

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to know you have finally figured out what your medical problems stem from?  To think a doctor would tell you that chronic diarrhea is normal for some!  With a good support system and positive changes occurring, I doubt you will fall off the wagon down the road.  Eating gluten free just isn't that hard.  It's inconvenient at times but not hard. 

Congratulations on feeling better!