Rate this topic

My 4 year old is almost done being diagnosed with celiac. Positive blood work and symptoms, waiting for the gi. 

Has anyone ever noticed or heard of bags under the eyes as a symptom? His eyes get very puffy underneath... Worse by the night time. Hoping this isn't due to an allergy.

Also, when he was a toddler, his top four front teeth were discolored. Almost a grayish color across the top half of those teeth. We brought him to two dentists who just said it was nothing. It has since gone away... Do you think that could have been a symptom of the celiacs?

3 hours ago, Ashley17 said:

My 4 year old is almost done being diagnosed with celiac. Positive blood work and symptoms, waiting for the gi. 

Has anyone ever noticed or heard of bags under the eyes as a symptom? His eyes get very puffy underneath... Worse by the night time. Hoping this isn't due to an allergy.

Also, when he was a toddler, his top four front teeth were discolored. Almost a grayish color across the top half of those teeth. We brought him to two dentists who just said it was nothing. It has since gone away... Do you think that could have been a symptom of the celiacs?

Maybe.  Maybe as there are over 300 symptoms attributed to celiac disease.  So many of them overlap with other issues.   If he is diagnosed with celiac disease, he can still have allergy issues.  

Keep him on gluten until all testing is complete (hard, I know!).  I hope he feels better soon.  

4 hours ago, Ashley17 said:

Puffy eyes can be from allergy or can be from thyroid disease........which occurs frequently with Celiac.  I am not saying he has thyroid disease but puffiness under the eyes is a classic symptom of low thyroid.  When your metabolism is slowed down from a sluggish thyroid, fluids can collect in places like under the eyes, in your lungs and other places. I have Hashi's thyroid disease and allergies and have some puffiness under my eyes. It really doesn't go away but I am 57, not 4!  :)

The discoloration of his teeth is another extremely classic symptom.  My 2 lower front teeth came in yellow.  There was absolutely no enamel on them.  Read this article:   http://allergicliving.com/2013/03/13/celiac-diseases-toll-on-your-teeth/  Sounds like your son may indeed have Celiac.  Good luck with the rest of testing!