This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Activities before health issues

cstark

cstark Enthusiast

Is anyone finding it difficult to return to activities they once enjoyed before the gluten attacks?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ironictruth Proficient

I was working out 3-5 times a week, running mostly 10 weeks ago. The last 10 weeks nothing, the last 6 weeks I can just make it through the day. 

egs1707 Enthusiast

I'm fighting to retain my bit of sport during the week but muscles seem to be getting weaker by the day since removing gluten. Hardly seems to be a healing process right now :mellow:

Without that sport I don't have any reason to make it through the rest of the week so I'll keep going until I break down completely, it's one thing I don't give up without a battle but this illness is having a good go at removing all the little bits of joy from life right now...

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Yep...have to constantly take B vitamins, multivitamins, protein powders, and BCAAs now every 4-6 hours.....forget a dose and feel like I got hit by a train hurting and can not move much. Been this way for several years now, always having to take stuff as my body does not absorb stuff right.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I fractured some vertabrae doing NOTHING two months after my celiac disease diagnosis in 2013.  Yep, osteoporosis.  I was devastated.  Did gentle walking and gave myself time to heal.  Needed the time anyway because I was anemic.  

I did get better though.  I ride my bike 40 miles on Saturdays.   I teach a few exercise classes, run 3.5 miles on the trail twice a week, and swim laps when I get the chance.  I used to walk my dog a lot too (lost my lab to cancer two weeks ago!).   Did I mention that I am 55?   

My brain is better too.  

You can get well!  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
36 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I fractured some vertabrae doing NOTHING two months after my celiac disease diagnosis in 2013.  Yep, osteoporosis.  I was devastated.  Did gentle walking and gave myself time to heal.  Needed the time anyway because I was anemic.  

I did get better though.  I ride my bike 40 miles on Saturdays.   I teach a few exercise classes, run 3.5 miles on the trail twice a week, and swim laps when I get the chance.  I used to walk my dog a lot too (lost my lab to cancer two weeks ago!).   Did I mention that I am 55?   

My brain is better too.  

You can get well!  

Good job, I just pace/power walk about 8-10miles a day in my hall, I get restless and just feel the need to walk, I feel relaxed while moving and allows me to think more clearly.  I used to go running and do sports. This gives me hope I might be able to back to that after some more healing. Thinking back I only started the walking again this past year. But still have the anemic issues with having to eat and supplement constantly and take naps.

ironictruth Proficient

Now that was inspiring. I miss the post workout boost. Cannot wait to feel well enough to get back to it. 

Cstark, how low have you been sick?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Posterboy Mentor

cstark et al, (ennis and ironictruth etc),

It is not uncommon for Celiac's to be low  in many nutrients obviously (see ennis commment) but I found that when I found Magnesium helped all my fatigue issues drastically improve.

Look up George Eby and magnesium and you will learn all you ever imagined about how Magnesium helps us make energy.

I recommend it to any who is having energy problems of any kind.  This includes muscle cramps, fatigue and sleep problems.

He say's he used it to treat depression and my moods did improve after I began taking it.

But it is important (as is often the case with vitamins) to get a bio-available form.

Magnesium CITRATE is the form best absorbed (or Glycinate which can be a little harder to find) by the body.

200 mg taken 3/day (with meals) will really help energy levels.

I almost never have muscle cramps ever now and sleep soundly at night without needing to take a nap when I get home (and almost always had to before).

I summarize it this way as Chlorophyll is to the plant so Magnesium is to the animal.

Meaning we physically can't make energy with out.

I think your energy levels will pleasantly pickup if you will try the Magnesium Citrate.

Harder to find but your body will think you for it.

Nuts are good sources too!  Especially Almonds and Cashews and they are an even better source of Magnesium if Chocolate covered but is not necessary.

This is not medical advice only personal experience that has helped me and friends who take Magnesium CITRATE to help our fatigue issues.

Magnesium works so well that if low magnesium is your problem when taking in divided doses at least  2 to 3 hours apart energy almost immediately picks up in the first month of taking it.

If you prefer to take it more time daily you can take it one hour before bed time too but each dose needs to be at least two hours apart to absorb your previous amount/dose or Magnesium in doses above 400 mg will for most people cause a "flushing affect" of a movement 20 minutes after doses larger than 400 mg is taken at one time.  Keep any Magnesium doses at least 2 hours apart (Glycinate does not do this) and you will be very happy I think with all the energy you seem almost to instantly have.

And often you will dream after beginning the magnesium probably after never never remembering your dreams for years.

I still take to this day at 400mg a day of Magnesium Citrate as a maintenance dose.

Good luck on your journey and I hope you have the energy to do some of your favorite things soon.

Posterboy,

Mr. Pep'r Contributor

Posterboy, thank you for the Magnesium Citrate in formation, I will look into it.  What I have noticed with me after getting diagnosed is that sometimes, actually most of the time supplements can really jack with my gut.  Either right away, or after taking something for a few weeks then it seems to go haywire, and once I stop taking something it all goes back to normal.

cstark, something else you might was to look into is your Iron level.  Since getting diagnosed my Iron levels have been low and my last GI Doctor wants me to take daily dose.  With this being said, it's my understanding that Iron for men is something you don't want to experiment with.  If you're weak and fatigued a simple blood panel could show something, like low Iron count.   

Open Original Shared Link

Just my thoughts.

Posterboy Mentor

Mr. Pep'r,

6 hours ago, Mr. Pep'r said:

Posterboy, thank you for the Magnesium Citrate in formation, I will look into it.  What I have noticed with me after getting diagnosed is that sometimes, actually most of the time supplements can really jack with my gut.  Either right away, or after taking something for a few weeks then it seems to go haywire, and once I stop taking something it all goes back to normal.

cstark, something else you might was to look into is your Iron level.  Since getting diagnosed my Iron levels have been low and my last GI Doctor wants me to take daily dose.  With this being said, it's my understanding that Iron for men is something you don't want to experiment with.  If you're weak and fatigued a simple blood panel could show something, like low Iron count.   

Just my thoughts.

If you are having Iron problems take some beta carotene.  It can improve iron absorption by a factor of three.

The Journal of Nutrition link is a technical response.

The NCBI link is a more summary form

quoting "This information suggest that vitamin A and beta-carotene form a complex with iron keeping it soluble in the intestinal lumen and preventing the inhibitory effect of phytates and polyphenols on iron absorption."

I like to say eat some carrots but make sure to eat it with some fat.  Like your favorite dressing.

Beta carotene needs fat to help your body absorb it better.

Often people have enough iron but too often it is stuck in a non-heme form.

This link by the NCBI that studied iron deficiency anemia in Venezuela summaries it well.

Beta carotene is especially powerful in unlocking this non bio-available form to one that can be used by the body.

I have a friend who has the same problem and researched it for him.

He iron levels are now improving reducing his need for iron shots.

Sometimes with nutrition you have to know where to look . . . and I have looked so much I often have a clue of what might help or where to look in the first place.

A quick google/bing search pulled up this links right away but if you had no idea to look at the beta carotene/iron axis then you wouldn't know where to begin to look.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with you iron levels.

*** this is not medical advice just years of experience researching nutrition.

Posterboy,

Mr. Pep'r Contributor

Thanks for this additional information.  I did some on-line research, and not sure if that was a good idea.

The side effects for Magnesium is; loose stools, diarrhea, stomach cramps; upset stomach.

The side effects for Beta Carotene is; Skin discoloration (yellowing that eventually goes away), Loose stools, Bruising, Joint pain.

Kind of the same symptoms I'm trying to avoid.

Whenever I see this I get extremely nervous, and to be completely honest supplements in general have been making me nervous lately.  I have taken Certified Gluten Musil-vitamins and Probiotoics and had positive results at first.  But then like light a switch my GI health does a complete 180º with nothing else changing [diet wise].  If I wait a month or two and start over again the same symptom cycle happens.  My GI seems to be a complete mystery! 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
15 minutes ago, Mr. Pep'r said:

Thanks for this additional information.  I did some on-line research, and not sure if that was a good idea.

The side effects for Magnesium is; loose stools, diarrhea, stomach cramps; upset stomach.

The side effects for Beta Carotene is; Skin discoloration (yellowing that eventually goes away), Loose stools, Bruising, Joint pain.

Kind of the same symptoms I'm trying to avoid.

Whenever I see this I get extremely nervous, and to be completely honest supplements in general have been making me nervous lately.  I have taken Certified Gluten Musil-vitamins and Probiotoics and had positive results at first.  But then like light a switch my GI health does a complete 180º with nothing else changing [diet wise].  If I wait a month or two and start over again the same symptom cycle happens.  My GI seems to be a complete mystery! 

Funny thing is I take 2-3 times the recommended dose of magnesium and still have hard stools, it really depends on the person and if you have issues with absorption of it in combination of your other supplements. You should ask your doctor and/or dietician about supplements, and perhaps have testing done to see about levels. Ask questions about them and bring your concerns up.  Start off in small doses even perhaps a half dose for a week til you see how it effects you then try adjusting it til it gets your levels where they need to be. Everyone is different, and how the disease has damaged your body exactly varies from person to person.

Mr. Pep'r Contributor

Thank you for the reply, I will talk with my doctor about this.

cstark Enthusiast
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, ironictruth said:

Now that was inspiring. I miss the post workout boost. Cannot wait to feel well enough to get back to it. 

Cstark, how low have you been sick?

It will be a year from tomorrow exactly.

ironictruth Proficient

Oh no. Have you had a follow up biopsy?

cstark Enthusiast
12 hours ago, ironictruth said:

Oh no. Have you had a follow up biopsy?

They wanted me to, but back then didn't see a need as I was not having any digestive issues going on.  Even you advise to go on a gluten challenge for the biopsy, I am not going to do it because of the severe reactions I have due to the gluten.  Eating gluten will send my symptoms into hyperdrive for the entire time, and I am sorry I cannot and will not risk my job over the gluten.  If it is Celiac, the only cure for it is to stay off the gluten which I am doing already, so why put my body through the trauma of the biopsy.  Let alone the pocket book.

ironictruth Proficient

I hear ya. I had to go off of payroll recently.

I am sorry you are still not feeling well and not able to enjoy your old activities. I hope you can find a reason soon.

cstark Enthusiast

I am starting to train again for a 5k run in April.  So we'll see. :)

egs1707 Enthusiast

I had some magnesium oil at home which I started applying a few days back when my leg muscles were feeling really weak and cramped up. Managed to recover sufficiently to get back to playing football yesterday and even had enough energy to pop up with a couple of goals so I'd say it helped - glad I saw this thread :) 

Do whatever it takes to try and get back onto any form of exercise, the natural high makes you feel so much better afterwards it's better than anything a doctor can prescribe!

Posterboy Mentor

egs1707 etal (cstark mr. Pep'r, Ennis)

I know Magnesium really works.

There is actually a book called "The Magnesium Miracle" that talks about a lot of these benefits that Magnesium can offer people by Dr. Carolyn Dean.

I have not read the book I found George Eby Research website had more than enough information about Magnesium to learn about it.  And it is free and how you can you beat free right.

You are said to "waste away" when you don't have enough Magnesium to make energy in your body.

But it must be in the Citrate or Glycinate (non-flushing) form for best absorption when used orally.

You so readily need Magnesium that the Magnesium Oil you used was easily absorbed through the skin think epsom salts.  Iodine is the same. 

Apply Iodine until it stains the body (skin) for 6 hours or more and it will help your thyroid problems that and Brazil nuts (a good source of Selenium) that the thyroid needs to work properly.  If it doesn't stain you you are probably low in Iodine and don't know it.

Mr. Pep'r the side affects you list are the  highest dosages usually.

Go back and read my post and why I mention the "Magnesium Flush" that can occur in higher dosages typically in the first 30 minutes of really high dosages.  Typically in multiple dosages at the same time.

So/but as long as you give yourself 4 hours between dosages in PILL or capsule form I think you won't experience that.  Ennis is correct to say ease into if you are concerned.

There is popular powder form called "Natural Calm"  in the Citrate form that works very well too if want to try it that way but I find it is easier to get too  much that way and prefer the pill form.  IF you get too big a teaspoon of the Natural Calm these same things can happen.

Drug stores now usually stock the Magnesium Citrate in a Naturesmade Liquidgel in 150mgs size that could be easily taken 4/day to make up for the 50mg less you get in the pill form 200mg 3/day size.  Used to be you could only find it in the normally useless Magnesium Oxide form which is harder (near impossible) for the body to absorb but because its a few dollars cheaper to make is the one you typically find on most shelves.

Look for the CITRATE form and your body will think you for it with less muscle cramps, more energy and restful sleep usually in the first month.

Notice egs1707 response to it in the first week of using it.

Don't take it in the oral liquid form found in Pharmacy's used as presurgical flush of your bowels THEN you will do just that which is 10X stronger.

But in 200 mg sizes 3/day you will really be amazed how much more energy you have.

I hope this is helpful.

Posterboy,

Archived