CasselsNonnie

Mother recently diagnosed

Rate this topic

Hello! I'm Angela and my mother, Marie, was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. She is 72 and breaks out in 'shingle-like' blisters and rashes whenever she eats the slightest bit of gluten. She is ridiculously stubborn and I need help getting her on a gluten free diet. I'm looking for a support group that actually meets in person. Mom isn't computer savvy. At. All. We live in the Tulsa, OK area. I've told my Dad to find her a gastroenterologist if he can. The closest one that specializes in celiac disease is in OKC, 2 hours away, so we are going to try local first. ANY advice would be super helpful. 

How was your mom diagnosed? Did she have the blood tests? Did she have an endoscopy with biopsies?

I'm not sure the Tulsa Support Group is still active but you can email or call & find out. Here are some links:

https://www.csaceliacs.org/csa_chapter_119.jsp

http://www.tulsalibrary.org/tos/celiac-sprue-association-tulsa-chapter-119  Call the library & ask if they still meet there

http://www.shabtai-gourmet.com/?page=glutenfreeresourcelinks&cat=Celiac Support Groups&rid=355

Also read our Newbie 101 in the Coping section - it's pinned to the top of that section

All first degree relatives should be tested every 2 years in the absence of symptoms & immediately if symptoms present since this is a genetic disease. One MUST be eating gluten every day for 3 months for the blood testing.

Thank you so much! I will check out the info and definitely visit the Newbie forum. I'm trying to do this on my phone and it's not the best for searching this site.  Momma was diagnosed by blood test. I didn't realize that I should be tested as well. I will mention that to my doctor next visit. I appreciate your response. I think the Tulsa chapter may no longer be meeting, the link I found through the CF didn't work but I will try yours as well. Thanks again!!!

This can be very hard with a person being diagnosed at this age. When I found out I had Celiac 6 years ago, I told my mom she should get tested. She refused, saying she couldn't LIVE without bread. I was shocked. My sister and my kids got tested and they are all negative. Sometimes people will just refuse to change eating habits. Maybe if she eats gluten-free and feels better, she will understand.