Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
scanlanmd

Blood test/symptom interpretation?

Rate this topic

Hi guys! 

I am a 25 year old female who has always been very food, health an exercise conscious. I have been struggling with chronic fatigue for almost 3 years now. I have had symptoms progress quite rapidly recently, which lead me to seek out blood work. The symptoms I've been experiencing have been severe bloating, extremely poor digestion, loose stools, headaches, a face rash that has been ebbing and flowing with it's flare ups (sort of resembles a malar rash of lupus-although ANA was negative), neuropathy in hands and feet and bleeding gums when brushing, poor sleep. My TTG-IgA came back as a 14.8, the cut off being 14.9, Ferritin level of 15 (after being on iron supplements previously, as per my naturopath) and elevated lymphocytes. I am curious if any of you have experienced these symptoms and if it may be possible that I still could be celiac even though I was .1 under the parameters? 

Thank you so much for your time!

Edited by scanlanmd

The sensitivity of the Anti-TTG IgA antibodies is 81-100% (so not perfect). However, there are no blood tests that you can do that can 100% rule out celiac.  

You didn't mention if you are still eating gluten - if you have cut it out, your tests might be falsely negative.

If you really think you might have it, I would push for a full celiac panel (and maybe even an EGD since you have a lot of GI symptoms)

Good luck!

On 5/4/2017 at 7:22 PM, TexasJen said:

The sensitivity of the Anti-TTG IgA antibodies is 81-100% (so not perfect). However, there are no blood tests that you can do that can 100% rule out celiac.  

You didn't mention if you are still eating gluten - if you have cut it out, your tests might be falsely negative.

If you really think you might have it, I would push for a full celiac panel (and maybe even an EGD since you have a lot of GI symptoms)

Good luck!

It could be a small fibroid I went threw this before eating with no wheat helps