Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
Scott Adams

News: Celiac.com: Studies Show Risks of Gluten-Free Diet

Rate this topic

Several studies show that gluten-free diets are particularly risky and so ... “The promotion of gluten-free diets among people without coeliac disease ...

View the full article

21 hours ago, admin said:

Several studies show that gluten-free diets are particularly risky and so ... “The promotion of gluten-free diets among people without coeliac disease ...

View the full article

Article cannot be found on my device,

@Victoria1234

It's basically saying, if I'm reading it right, that whole grains are "good for your heart" because they have a lot of minerals and vitamin D, folate, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin, calcium. Also it's saying a gluten-free diet doesn't get enough of these trace vitamins/minerals. I don't understand this part: "A gluten-free diet may adversely affect cardiovascular risk factors such as total cholesterol levels, weight gain leading to obesity, glucose tolerance and blood pressure and may lead to development of the metabolic syndrome," they add. Why would you gain weight on a gluten-free diet? Most people are struggling to gain weight so I don't get it. Or why would we have more cholesterol? Well, it's saying that it's not as healthy as a non gluten-free diet but I'm not really convinced. Because yeah you are cutting out a food group but you can get all these vit/minerals in other foods. What I have found a problem is keeping enough weight on because bread/pizza/bagels/pasta have a lot of calories.

6 minutes ago, LexieA said:

@Victoria1234

It's basically saying, if I'm reading it right, that whole grains are "good for your heart" because they have a lot of minerals and vitamin D, folate, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin, calcium. Also it's saying a gluten-free diet doesn't get enough of these trace vitamins/minerals. I don't understand this part: "A gluten-free diet may adversely affect cardiovascular risk factors such as total cholesterol levels, weight gain leading to obesity, glucose tolerance and blood pressure and may lead to development of the metabolic syndrome," they add. Why would you gain weight on a gluten-free diet? Most people are struggling to gain weight so I don't get it. Or why would we have more cholesterol? Well, it's saying that it's not as healthy as a non gluten-free diet but I'm not really convinced. Because yeah you are cutting out a food group but you can get all these vit/minerals in other foods. What I have found a problem is keeping enough weight on because bread/pizza/bagels/pasta have a lot of calories.

Thank you!

i know from what happened to me, I lost a bunch weight when I went gluten-free. I had some extra  so this was healthy. But oddly when I started on cpap for sleep apnea I gained some of the weight back. Never sure why that happened as I eat the same amount if not even less than I used to.