This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

gluten-free foods while avoiding acid reflux/"IBS" triggers?

PoorlyPixie

PoorlyPixie Rookie

Hi guys. I've had three blood tests for celiac, all negative, and one biopsy that I'm still waiting for the results of. I have a lot of the symptoms, and my body has been breaking down and getting sicker over the past year. I have gut pain, constipation, piles, sometimes loose stools, gas, muscle pain, bone pain, a fuzzy/light head, noise and light sensitivity, bleeding gums and mouth ulcers. But the worst is chronic acid reflux, which has been resistant to treatment. The endoscopy I had on April 30th found a hiatal hernia, which I didn't have when I had my first endoscopy in 2015. The area was full of acid and bile, which I have always been able to feel, 24/7. For the last 6+ years I've been on the IBS and the acid reflux diet. No FODMAPS (which seems to be everything), and nothing with acid in, like citric acid. I've decided to go gluten-free now, without waiting for my results, and my father has just found out that his last blood test had raised transglutaminase and was "strongly suggestive of coeliac," which has motivated me even more. But finding gluten-free alternatives is proving difficult, especially bread.

The problem isn't so much taste, as acid and IBS triggers in the ingredients. All the gluten-free breads I can find contain acids like citric acid, honey, vinegar, and apple, and others contain possible IBS triggers like bamboo fibre (?) and Quinoa, which the jury seems to be out on in regards to IBS. I suspect I have to continue avoiding these ingredients as my gut is very painful and sensitive, and I'm worried about worsening gut symptoms instead of healing. Are these ingredients actually safe when the problem is (or could be) gluten? Or do they tear through the gut if the gut is damaged?

I wouldn't bother with bread, but I'm 10 pounds underweight and I get a lot of flak about it, and honestly I've been getting most of my calories through bread, and don't know how to get calories without it. There is so much food I have to avoid, if not "IBS" triggers, then acidic foods. I won't touch something acidic with a barge pole! 

I don't really know what my question is, I feel stumped here! But any ideas would be much appreciated. Also, I live in the UK, so some brands aren't available here. I wondered if supermarket-own gluten-free bread is OK for celiacs, as although it has the crossed grain symbol, isn't it manufactured in the same place, and therefore possibly contaminated? I thought I had this gluten-free-thing figured out months in advance (I've done a lot of reading since my doctor suggested celiac last year), but turns out, I haven't the foggiest what to do. I'm thinking of quitting food, to be honest with you. 

Thanks for any replies!?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi PP,

Notice how I shortened your user name there? :)  I am not real familiar with the acid diet or the FODMAP diet.  But IBS is short for "I be stumped" in  doctor talk.  Doctors don't really know what causes IBS yet so they may suggest things that are just guesses.

Of course I am in the same boat as figuring some one's issues out over the internet is tricky or sometimes darn right impossible.  The low FODMAP diet is recommended for NCGS (non-celiac gluten sensitivity) and probably IBS too though.

The thing with acid reflux is another issue.  Celiac disease can cause deficiencies in many vitamins and minerals.  B-vitamins being low could cause muscles controlling nerves to not work normally.  I am pretty sure that's why I have trouble swallowing now.

Do you know that stomach acid is a much stronger acid than lemon juice?  Or even much stronger than most common food acids?  It has to be stronger to break down foods in our stomachs.  Lemon juice and vinegar are much weaker acids by comparison.

Sometimes people just don't get a clear answer from celiac disease testing.  They might test negative and then years later start showing positive on the blood antibodies.  But they can be having symptoms for all those years.

Archived