This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can celiac disease go away? Struggling

Br0g1n

Br0g1n Newbie

I was diagnosed when I was 18. I'm now 27. Iv never stuck to my celiac diet because I love normal food too much, I went to get my ega levels checked (or whatever its called) recently. Doctor said its meant to be between 0-3 and mines is 128. The problem is that it very rarely bothers me. I don't know if I'm used to the pain as I previously had kidney failure.  I know the risks, my doctor never fails to remind me, but because I don't feel anything it's like it's not real ?

Could i just get better on my own, or is this something I should really start worrying about? 

I need some motivation, because a doctor saying it will kill me one day isn't working. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Somewhere on the forum is post by person who went back on gluten for 5 years.  She had an emergency colostomy done one day to save her life.  So, yeah, there are consequences even if you don't feel it.  There's also the people who develop gut cancer and die.  That's a pretty big consquence too.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I was not diagnosed until late in life.  Two months after my diagnosis, I broke some bones doing NOTHING!  I had no clue that I had developed osteoporosis.  

It will catch up to you eventually.  I think it already has or you would not be here.  

Learn more about complications:

Open Original Shared Link

Br0g1n Newbie

Omg really that's a bit crazy, I just don't understand, I feel like I'm the only one struggling with this. To me it's like telling a smoker that smoking is going to kill them. 

Yeah I understand the osteoporosis part, I did have a slight problem there but am taking  chewable Cal/Mag/Vit D3 tablets and have felt anything else since. 

Thank you guys, just need a good wake up call

Ennis-TX Grand Master

OH you love food...well as the gut damage ramps up and gets worse and you immune system gets more testy it can start to associate other foods with gluten. It will start getting confused, your gut lining being damaged can lead to undigested proteins leaking into your blood stream triggering food sensitivities, and allergies. Mine went undianosed for years...results where other complications.
First came lactose intolerance, then random allergies and other food issues, allergic to corn, whey, and certain other foods make me violently start vomiting like even the tiniest trace of peanuts, soy makes me blow up and nauseated, I got gluten ataxia which damaged my brain and and nervous system cascading to effect the nerves to my pancreas so I can not digest food without taking pills with bovine (pig) pancreas enzymes....meats are extremely limited due to digestion now.
Last I got Ulcerative colitis.....mine flares to sugars and carbs that get broken done easily into said sugars. SO I can no longer eat carbs, sugars, fruit without bloody stools and crapping out blood globs, and getting distended.
Pain...well nerve damage took care of that, I feel pressure, but not pain...oh yeah it has its benefits, but at the same time makes telling if I am taking damage hard in all measures of life.

I wish I and figured out some of it earlier at least not have the pancreas issues....a normal keto/paleo diet with just tons of meats and veggies sounds wonderful. I do cook this way and do catering off a paleo diet, and run a grain free bakery.

You, like me love food, take it as a challenge, look for ways to change and create recipes that fit the new gluten free diet. I worked concessions etc. before dia, then moved to gluten free bakery and selling at farmers markets perfecting my recipes. I now am looking at opening a food truck with a 100% gluten free menu so I can cook for a living and show others my love for food.
Heck I even share some of my crazy recipes on one of my blogs here....I make it fit what I can work with.

• 2 weeks later...
HannahBick Explorer

For some people, celiac disease can become latent but this only happens in a minority of cases.

You're lucky to have a doctor who is aware of the serious issues surrounding this disease. My husband was diagnosed over 40 years ago as a very sick child and both he and our PCP did not think our kids needed to be screened for the disease, since they never had the extreme symptoms or *obvious* classic celiac manifestations. It would save us money and the kids wouldn't have to say no to pasta, pizza and cake. I recently charged ahead, got them tested and diagnosed while hubby was away.

Perhaps you could get a gene test to see if you have the HLA-DQ2 (DQA1*05 and/or DQB1*02) or HLA-DQ8 (DQB1*0302) genes. If you don't have those, then celiac disease is very unlikely.

Many doctors are very backward when it comes to celiac disease. When I explained this to my kids they became more motivated to stick to the diet, as they don't want to feel ill and be subjected to harmful, ineffective ℞ drugs because their health care provider overlooked the very real possibility of gluten contamination in the diet.

Archived