This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still have symptoms, related to something else?

ebutton

Wheatwacked Veteran
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, Posterboy said:

Folic Acid can be a problem for some...and why it is hard to generalize....

The MTHFR issue is documented well concerning folic acid, but not folate. Hence, the increased risk of prostate cancer with folic acid but not folate.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced
7 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:
6 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

I finally went gluten-free Thanksgiving 2014, at age 63 as a Hail Mary and had immediate improvement for around 15 different symptoms that I was always told was either psychosomatic or just normal and I had to live with it. I should have listened in 1976 when my son was biopsy diagnosed and the doctor suggested I might benefit, but I had no gastrointestinal issues, so yeah: not me!

thanx for the recipe!  I gotta wait for my cukes to grow, now...  we make our own sauerkraut - super easy and delicious.  and you get that extra probiotic boost from lactofermentation.  also, cheap :) is my middle name :D 

your story:  same ha ha that's how I got my screen name.  surely, notme!  I went through another few months of denial before I pulled the trigger on the strictly gluten free diet.  like you, some seemingly unrelated symptoms immediately cleared up.  I don't catch colds or flu anymore and I used to develop pneumonia every year and that quit happening.  my son has type 1 diabetes, my daughter has r.a. and is also celiac.  it's that pesky autoimmune gene.....

Posterboy Mentor
7 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

The MTHFR issue is documented well concerning folic acid, but not folate. Hence, the increased risk of prostate cancer with folic acid but not folate.

Wheatwacked,

I agree with you it is well documented...just not well accepted or understood.

It (Folic Acid) is added to gluten containing breads ...enriched flours ...why does it need to be enriched to be good enough for human consumption??? One might wonder?

My point about Magnesium ...is it complimentary to your Lithium regimen ...as long as you take your Lithium and Magnesium with different meals.

I have actually taken Lithium Orotate mainly to see if it would help my blood sugars (and it did some but do not take it now)...I think you are taking it right ...in low doses.

But I don't like the way Lithium interferes with Magnesium...

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-1-4612-3324-4_10

when I found Magnesium, Vitamin D (to a lesser degree) and Niacinamide ...I cured my depression issues. ..because these Vitamins/Minerals are used in every cell in the body via the Krebs cycle or (as part of the Vitamin D receptor in each cell)... concerning the krebs cycle think photosynthesis/chlorophyll for plants and you  have an idea.

Getting people to try them is another story!

see this recent research on a Vitamin dependency (not deficiency) and treatment of Bi-Polar patients.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5852710/

since it is so new...it will take another 10 or 15 years for doctor's to accept and use it in their practices (they are called practices for a reason).

He (this) doctor studied this effect in his patient(s) for over 10+ years before publishing his research in a clinical journal.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor
8 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

https://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/articles-1/2017/1/23/lithium-the-untold-story-of-the-magic-mineral-that-charges-cell-phones-and-preserves-memory

I started using zinc, specifically Cold-Eze in 2004, when my wife was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer and said if I got a cold I had to move out because of her chemo. Have not had a significant cold since. I finally went gluten-free Thanksgiving 2014, at age 63 as a Hail Mary and had immediate improvement for around 15 different symptoms that I was always told was either psychosomatic or just normal and I had to live with it. I should have listened in 1976 when my son was biopsy diagnosed and the doctor suggested I might benefit, but I had no gastrointestinal issues, so yeah: not me!

Wheatwacked,

I found similar research (like your lithium research) about Selenium that could help people  that nobody seems to know about ...about it's role in cancer regulation. .. and the level of trace Selenium in well water.

https://www.naturalnews.com/016446.html

I prefer to use natural foods and Vitamin supplements (when appropriate) to help manage my health issues.

Luckily Selenium is easily available from Brazil nuts.  Selenium is good for thyroids too!

I had a friend with a Selenium deficiency once .. .though rare ... especially  with a difference food supply today it is uncommon...but when one eats' most of their foods from a selenium (nutrient) poor soil ...it can happen.

I shared my research/experience with them but I don't think they listened .. .now I am trying to  help their husband with IBS.

Wish me luck ...I am going to need it. . .advocating supplementation is not as easy it  (convincing others) sounds (nor is eating healthy hard) as I am sure you now from your Pickle recipe...so simple a thing understand but so hard for (other) people to grasp sometimes.

Try the Magnesium Glycinate and I think you will be glad you did!

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor
1 hour ago, notme! said:

like you, some seemingly unrelated symptoms immediately cleared up.  I don't catch colds or flu anymore and I used to develop pneumonia every year and that quit happening.  my son has type 1 diabetes, my daughter has r.a. and is also celiac.  it's that pesky autoimmune gene.....

Notme!,

This might help you ...I was thinking of Cyclinglady when I ran across this but might also post in another place because she mentioned in another context.

https://hypothyroidmom.com/autoimmune-patients-have-you-heard-of-th1-and-th2-dominance/

http://www.jneuropsychiatry.org/peer-review/the-significance-of-proinflammatory-cytokines-and-th1-th2-balance-in-depression-and-action-of-antidepressants.html

the more I study about how our immune system(s) work I am more convenienced this proinflammatory state is behind a lot of unexplained sickness(es) today.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

notme Experienced

I didn't ask for help.  I feel great and I have my oil checked about every 3 months.  I don't have any psychiatric problems that I am aware of.  all my thyroid numbers are fine and I am aware that as a woman post menopause with an already existing autoimmune disease, I am expecting to keep an eye on my thyroid.  my vitamins levels get checked every doctor visit as I said earlier:  I used to be, most recently, vit b12 and D deficient, but that has self corrected.

I have celiac disease.  it is treated by strictly adhering to a gluten free diet.  the reason I mentioned my son and daughter is, that, it cemented my diagnosis and reaffirmed that I do, indeed, have the dreaded autoimmune gene.  if this statement helps someone stick to their diet because it is the only treatment and someone else in their immediate family has an ai disease, then I feel like I helped someone on a celiac forum.  in a celiac world that is also gluten free :)