Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

3 3
Alexia N

Elias, RA and Plaquenil

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed two years ago with celiac and my doctor advised me to take Intravenous iron and three months after I got pains in my joins.  After blood test we concluded that I got a second autoimmune disease RA. Two years now I don’t take any medicines. I did fasting only with water several times, starting with 3 days max to 5. I was fasting every 2 months about. My diet was very careful. Eating organic salads, green juicing, avocados, nuts, little chicken and very rare red meat. Avoiding everything with gluten. Situation was not bad but fasting is quite hard.. and maybe not a very good idea to do it so often. Now I follow a vegan, plant base diet, avoiding many fruits (due to fructose). The situation remains stable but not eliminated. The pains in my joins are the same. I came to the point where I am thinking to start Plaquenil and I would like to know if anybody has the same symptoms and Plaquenil is ok for celiac?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, I haven't tried Planquil.   But I  did have joint pain in my shoulders and hips.  It went away after I stopped eating nightshades.  Nightshades are potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.  Nightshades have alkaloid chemicals in them that some people can't process.  So they build up and cause joint pain.  So, I'm not sure if it would help you to stop all nightshades but maybe it would.  If you try eliminating nightshades keep at it for a couple months.  It can take that long for symptoms to go away.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter

19 minutes ago, GFinDC said:

Hi, I haven't tried Planquil.   But I  did have joint pain in my shoulders and hips.  It went away after I stopped eating nightshades.  Nightshades are potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.  Nightshades have alkaloid chemicals in them that some people can't process.  So they build up and cause joint pain.  So, I'm not sure if it would help you to stop all nightshades but maybe it would.  If you try eliminating nightshades keep at it for a couple months.  It can take that long for symptoms to go away.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you very much for the suggestion, I did it already but unfortunately it did not worked. 

Join eNewsletter

I do not have RA, but my mother does.  She is on hydroxychloroquine and is doing well.  

You sound like me attempting to treat without drugs.  I also fast, but only intermittent (12 to 16 hours).  It helps my blood sugar and gives my GI tract much needed breaks.  Longer fasts?  Not much research has been done, especially on women, so I am wary.  

In addition to celiac disease, I have Hashimoto’s and Autoimmune Gastritis.  I do take a thyroid replacement, but since being gluten free, my thyroid is no longer enlarged and my nodules are gone.  Unfortunately, my thyroid function was permanently damaged.  I am trying to avoid a 4th AI. I am guessing that it will be RA since my mother and my paternal grandmother had/have it.  

As much as I resist taking medications (I have Mast Cell issues that cause reactions that are usually triggered by insects or medications), if I develop RA, I may be required to take a medication.  Quality of life is important to me.  My grandmother was bedridden as a result of RA and I would not want that to occur.     Hydroxychloroquine has been around for a long time.  It is reasonably safe.  Unfortunately, with this pandemic, my mother has reported shortages in her area.  

Your Vegan diet is your choice, but do you not think it is odd that this diet requires you to supplement with Vitamin B-12 (fortified foods or supplements)?    Could our ancestors have survived on a Vegan (not vegetarian) diet?  I am just curious. 

I hope you figure it out.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

10 hours ago, Alexia N said:

Thank you very much for the suggestion, I did it already but unfortunately it did not worked. 

Bummer, but it's good you tried.  I hope you find a treatment that helps.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter