This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confused

Chris H

Chris H Apprentice

So I’ve been gluten free for 18 months now, and am still having some trouble with some nerve pain. On this journey since I realised that gluten was causing me chronic pain, I have discovered that dairy does as well, rice seems to be an issue as well as bananas. Now I’ve been off those foods and had a bad day yesterday as well as today. My diet is clean as possible. My question is, what other possibilities could it be? Bananas tend to make my feet hurt and make my legs really tight. If bananas do that, what else could cause similar problems? Could it be the fructose? Anyone else have these problems, my main source of carb is sweet potato. I’m at the point where I’m worried about almost everything I eat. Is it a potassium problem? Do I just eat too much and I need to take down my calories? Pretty rough times at the moment, if anyone could give me some helpful hints, I’d appreciate it 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Hi Chris!  

If I recall you are struggling with pain and neuropathy.  Nerve damage can take a long time to heal, if healing is even possible.  I would hate for you to give up so many foods.  Have you tried a 4 or 7day food rotation diet?  This can help to avoid or calm down a food intolerance or allergy.  In theory, you give you body some time (a few days) to forget that food.  Of course, this does not apply to gluten.  Because gluten triggers an autoimmune reaction.  

What  does “eat too much mean”?  Just a large quantity or are you grazing all the time?  I do intermittent fasting (12 to 16 hours).  At first, I did the fasting to help with my insulin resistance.  Then I found that it helped to have a GI break.  I think it allows time to heal.  Because after a gluten exposure, digesting anything can hurt.  

It does sound like you are on the right course.  It is frustrating to have setbacks, but it sounds like there have been more positives.  I hope others can chime in. 

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

I had 13 intolerances after my gluten challenge. Gluten, corn, and cow milk/products are still enemies to my immune system. It locks and loads and says No!

Cycling ladies suggestion to rotate helps. I did a food elimination diet to check for intolerances and a food diary initially. I kept foods to below 5 ingrediants. 

Just a thought somethings I use to eat with gluten on a regular basis, I had to remove for quite sometime. I believe my immune system associated that food with gluten and my immune system would rev up patrolling for gluten. My immune system is super hyperviligilant , a gluten detecting savant , beyond my humble human detection 👍😉

Did you regularly pair banana with gluten? Example gluten banana muffins etc? You might need to drop it for a while or pair it with other things .

Example initially I did lots of smoothies in the start as I struggled to digest. When I mixed coconut milk, or almond milk with fruit and veggies it had a lot to sort through that didn't paired together in my past diet history.  This self appointed strategy kept my immune system occupied without the usually paired suspects sending it into high alert. I looked for recipes that had some unique combos I didn't usually put together.

My nerve issues take a long time. As you heal make sure you are supporting your nerves with the nutrients they need. For me I need to watch my B's, Mg, vitamin D . Stress or lots of physical busy activity can run those B's down so the nerves may "complain" to let you know.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Edited by Awol cast iron stomach
Spelling
GFinDC Veteran
On 6/25/2020 at 6:29 AM, Chris H said:

So I’ve been gluten free for 18 months now, and am still having some trouble with some nerve pain. On this journey since I realised that gluten was causing me chronic pain, I have discovered that dairy does as well, rice seems to be an issue as well as bananas. Now I’ve been off those foods and had a bad day yesterday as well as today. My diet is clean as possible. My question is, what other possibilities could it be? Bananas tend to make my feet hurt and make my legs really tight. If bananas do that, what else could cause similar problems? Could it be the fructose? Anyone else have these problems, my main source of carb is sweet potato. I’m at the point where I’m worried about almost everything I eat. Is it a potassium problem? Do I just eat too much and I need to take down my calories? Pretty rough times at the moment, if anyone could give me some helpful hints, I’d appreciate it 

Bananas, rice, are very carby foods.  Dairy has lactose sugar in it and is hard to digest with damaged villi.  The carby foods are converted to sugar in the gut.  That can cause bacteria to thrive or higher blood glucose or both.  So maybe check your blood glucose?  I know my dad had muscle cramps from T2 diabetes in his legs.

zenith12 Enthusiast
On 6/25/2020 at 5:29 AM, Chris H said:

corn!!!!!!

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced
12 hours ago, zenith12 said:

corn!!!!!!

😊

zenith12 Enthusiast
On 6/30/2020 at 7:49 AM, Awol cast iron stomach said:

😊

Hello i also just found out i am allergic to RICE. I was fine for months after i stopped eaten wheat gluten then like 3 months ago i started feeling weird symptoms and now i know it is CORN and RICE i can't eat either. I am going to the allergist soon. I thought rice would be fine. NOPE. I just ate half a rice VANS waffle ( corn free) (gluten-free)  to see if I could eat RICE , and i reacted!!! So i will NEVER eat grains again!!!! I gotta learn how to cook with almond flour. My funny symptoms was half ass sneezes, and of course when i went to bed INSOMNIA and shakyness.  &WIRED brain!! Low blood sugar feeling and no appetite.

Today I feel like s**T. I knew i shouldn't have tried the rice waffle.

CORN and RICE allergy is common with celiacs.  Dr Osborne explains all that.   Ya sad that in all gluten-free stuff is nothing but grains and  corns.  smh.  But they do have paleo mixes.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
4 hours ago, zenith12 said:

Hello i also just found out i am allergic to RICE. I was fine for months after i stopped eaten wheat gluten then like 3 months ago i started feeling weird symptoms and now i know it is CORN and RICE i can't eat either. I am going to the allergist soon. I thought rice would be fine. NOPE. I just ate half a rice VANS waffle ( corn free) (gluten-free)  to see if I could eat RICE , and i reacted!!! So i will NEVER eat grains again!!!! I gotta learn how to cook with almond flour. My funny symptoms was half ass sneezes, and of course when i went to bed INSOMNIA and shakyness.  &WIRED brain!! Low blood sugar feeling and no appetite.

Today I feel like s**T. I knew i shouldn't have tried the rice waffle.

CORN and RICE allergy is common with celiacs.  Dr Osborne explains all that.   Ya sad that in all gluten-free stuff is nothing but grains and  corns.  smh.  But they do have paleo mixes.  

Zenith,

You could have an intolerance or allergy to any of those ingredients in those Van waffles.  Heck, they even had a recall last year because the mixed up gluten waffles and gluten-free waffles.  

Cook some plain rice.  Eat it.  Wait a few hours.  If you get sick, you have a better idea that your claim of being allergic to rice is true.    Better yet, avoid rice for one week, then cook plain rice and consume a cup and wait for any reactions.  

While corn is a common intolerance, rice is not.  Dr. Osborne is a quack!  

I see you are taking my advice to avoid processed foods to heart!  😆. I see too, that you do not believe that Dr. Osborne is kind of a quack.  His goal is to profit by selling you his products.  By golly he is a chiropractor who jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon years ago.   

https://celiacsimplified.com/2019/07/03/how-the-gluten-free-society-is-ripping-you/

Gee, do you have money to invest?  I have some soon-to-be Oceanfront   property (after California falls into the ocean)  in Arizona to sell.  

knitty kitty Grand Master
On 6/25/2020 at 5:29 AM, Chris H said:

Bananas tend to make my feet hurt and make my legs really tight.

my main source of carb is sweet potato. 

Pretty rough times at the moment, if anyone could give me some helpful hints, I’d appreciate it 

Chris H,

I needed extra thiamine and niacin at the beginning.  Thiamine and niacin are B vitamins that your body needs to turn fats and carbohydrates, like bananas and sweet potato, into energy your body can use.  

Signs you're not getting enough Thiamine and Niacin are feelings of tightness and edema (swelling) in your lower legs and tingling in your extremities.  Anxiety and insomnia are others.

Sweet potatoes became my carb when I first went gluten free.  Unfortunately, sweet potatoes contain a chemical, a thiaminase, that destroys thiamine and makes it unusable in the body.  

I took extra thiamine and niacin supplements (and magnesium that works with them) to fill up my body's low supply.  Now carbohydrates are not problem.  

Hope this helps!

9 hours ago, zenith12 said:

My funny symptoms was half ass sneezes, and of course when i went to bed INSOMNIA and shakyness.  &WIRED brain!! Low blood sugar feeling and no appetite.

Zenith, 

Insomnia, feeling wired, and shakiness, and no energy and no appetite are all symptoms of not enough Thiamine to properly digest carbohydrates.  

You might want to consider supplementing with thiamine, as well as niacin and magnesium.  All are involved in digesting those carbs and turning them into energy for your body.  

Hope this helps!

Knitty Kitty

zenith12 Enthusiast
16 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Chris H,

I needed extra thiamine and niacin at the beginning.  Thiamine and niacin are B vitamins that your body needs to turn fats and carbohydrates, like bananas and sweet potato, into energy your body can use.  

Signs you're not getting enough Thiamine and Niacin are feelings of tightness and edema (swelling) in your lower legs and tingling in your extremities.  Anxiety and insomnia are others.

Sweet potatoes became my carb when I first went gluten free.  Unfortunately, sweet potatoes contain a chemical, a thiaminase, that destroys thiamine and makes it unusable in the body.  

I took extra thiamine and niacin supplements (and magnesium that works with them) to fill up my body's low supply.  Now carbohydrates are not problem.  

Hope this helps!

Zenith, 

Insomnia, feeling wired, and shakiness, and no energy and no appetite are all symptoms of not enough Thiamine to properly digest carbohydrates.  

You might want to consider supplementing with thiamine, as well as niacin and magnesium.  All are involved in digesting those carbs and turning them into energy for your body.  

Hope this helps!

Knitty Kitty

NO cross reactivity to rice and corn is VERY REAL. You are wrong!!  NOW i feel so much better now that the rice is out of my system.  Please get informed and do your research.  Look up the symptoms. Shakiness and nervousness is how my body reacts. Sneezing is one of them too which i was doing.  It feels like getting glutened by wheat except much milder. But it wires your brain and gives you complete foggyness and insomnia.  

zenith12 Enthusiast
Just now, zenith12 said:

NO cross reactivity to rice and corn is VERY REAL. You are wrong!!  NOW i feel so much better now that the rice is out of my system.  Please get informed and do your research.  Look up the symptoms. Shakiness and nervousness is how my body reacts. Sneezing is one of them too which i was doing.  It feels like getting glutened by wheat except much milder. But it wires your brain and gives you complete foggyness and insomnia.  

I cant take vitamins, They all have rice or corn in them. I am still doing reaseach on finding the right ones.  Vitamin C is derrived from corn.  So now i stopped taking my vitamins. I don't know if i am that sensitive to derrivitives of corn or not.  i will have to test that out.I was eating FULL ON rice and FULL on corn and getting GLUTENED reactions. ther is a doctor right now on youtube that talks about cross reactivity.He said the worse was   RICE  CORN  MILLET   YEAST and a couple others. I have a very attuned sensitive system so i am NOT suprised that now i cant handle  corn  or rice.  Good luck.

knitty kitty Grand Master
On 7/2/2020 at 12:48 PM, zenith12 said:

Corn and rice do contain peptide chains that resemble segments of gluten peptide chains.  Casein in dairy, yeast, and chicken meat also do, too.  

You still need thiamine to help digest them.  

Read this.....same symptoms.....wired brain, etc...

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/connecting-symptom-dots-discovering-thiamine-deficiency/

And this...

https://www.thehealthy.com/nutrition/silent-signs-thiamine-deficiency/

Edited by knitty kitty
Add link
  • 2 weeks later...
zenith12 Enthusiast
On 7/6/2020 at 12:41 PM, knitty kitty said:

Corn and rice do contain peptide chains that resemble segments of gluten peptide chains.  Casein in dairy, yeast, and chicken meat also do, too.  

You still need thiamine to help digest them.  

Read this.....same symptoms.....wired brain, etc...

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/connecting-symptom-dots-discovering-thiamine-deficiency/

And this...

https://www.thehealthy.com/nutrition/silent-signs-thiamine-deficiency/

NO  MY wired brain is from GLUTEN LIKE REACTION TO RICE AND CORN . Well now i am hoping I don't have a problem with corn, it may just be RICE. I went to the allergist and chickend out since i don't want things I am allergic to injected into me so she told me to go get my blood test (igE) from my primary care doc. So  i will have her give me my vitamin blood tests,  celiac tests and food allergy tests. I have that appmnt on the 4th. I am hoping its just RICE, but we will see. Btw the food intolerance and food sensitivity tests from hair or totally worthless POS tests. NOT the slightest big accurate. Maybe 1%.  When i ate the RICE or GLUTEN i get the same reaction as i go to bed, my body gets this weird energy and SHAKIness going through my body. And well with the corn, boots out all  urine which is one of the symptoms of corn allergy (dehydration). I think wheat did that too. I can't remember since I haven't had wheat since NOV. But this stupid food intolerance test I took did NOT have corn in the severe category, it had RICE. Corn wasn't listed at all.  Not sure if it it tested for corn.  It also had blueberries in the severe category. WRONG!!!!!!!! I eat those out the butt.  So yea take those tests w/a grain of salt.  Besides you need blood tests for IMMUNE response. Well i asked the woman if the hair sample tested for antibodies and she was like "yea yea". Then i realize that stupid lab is a franchise. Both workers were the owners. Anyway I should have did my business elsewhere. I just didn' t want to wait till aug  4 for my doc appmnt. I think I do have a problem with corn too but just wishful thinking. All the stuff I ate had both in it. Then i weeded out the corn and just ate a half of a rice waffle and reacted!!!  So then i knew it was corn and rice. But maybe just rice.  I will have to ask doc about the vitamin and mineral blood tests. I am not sure if the normal tests where they test your kidneys , iron and bla bla tests for all that.  But if i don't get anywhere with my doc I know where to go. Thanks     If you know anything about celiacs you LOSE sleep if you get glutened hence wired brain. I do anyway.  

zenith12 Enthusiast
On 7/1/2020 at 3:56 PM, cyclinglady said:

Zenith,

You could have an intolerance or allergy to any of those ingredients in those Van waffles.  Heck, they even had a recall last year because the mixed up gluten waffles and gluten-free waffles.  

Cook some plain rice.  Eat it.  Wait a few hours.  If you get sick, you have a better idea that your claim of being allergic to rice is true.    Better yet, avoid rice for one week, then cook plain rice and consume a cup and wait for any reactions.  

While corn is a common intolerance, rice is not.  Dr. Osborne is a quack!  

I see you are taking my advice to avoid processed foods to heart!  😆. I see too, that you do not believe that Dr. Osborne is kind of a quack.  His goal is to profit by selling you his products.  By golly he is a chiropractor who jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon years ago.   

https://celiacsimplified.com/2019/07/03/how-the-gluten-free-society-is-ripping-you/

Gee, do you have money to invest?  I have some soon-to-be Oceanfront   property (after California falls into the ocean)  in Arizona to sell.  

Chiropractors are quacks no doubt. NO this other info was coming from a medical doctor about the 7 things for celiacs cross reaction. No remember when i ate the TSO general chicken , it had nothing but rice and corn flour in it and I crapped 11 times. I bloated first. I will soon find out . I know its rice for sure and i think corn. But I think I can handle some derrivitives which makes sense because there is no proteins. That doctor was talking about proteins celiacs react to. Food starch doesn't have corn proteins in it. So i think i can handle the buttermilk ranch dressing from aldis. For now i stopped eating it till i get all my allergy tests. I don't want to risk and get an IMMUNE response again and crap 11 times. Yea this quack here called Brian McDonnel, just wants your money and any little problem you have, he is like  "here is a plan, come back 20 more times at $92.00 a wack for acupuncture"  and bla bla. I can't find one person on youtube or net where somebody says acupuncture works. Biggest QUAckery ever.  And believe you me  I am all for natural health. I told him i was dizzy all the time due to my endocrine system. Prior pituitary tumor etc etc. And that I had constant low blood sugar all the time. Well now that i am on the paleo diets my dizziness is MUCH better. Stress brings it out too though (dizziness). 

But he still put electrified probes all over my head and it screwed me up for like a year and eating gluten wasn't helping I am sure. First of all i dont think they had electicity millions of year ago in China. lol   He still wanted me to come back like  18 more times and put the probes all over my head. I was like " you quack".  So yea i had severe hypoglycemia for a long time. Say NO to acupuncture. lol  Last time i ate the rice waffle it took me like 2 weeks to get over it so NO i will NOT ever eat rice or corn again.  Only derrivitives.  Even if it is shown i am not alergic to CORN i will NOT eat it. Just the food starch.  lol

I realize now how hard it is to digest corn. Those EVOL gluten-free meals, what a scam. Corn and RICE yea. NOT!!!