Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

6 6
Chris H

Confused

Rate this topic

So I’ve been gluten free for 18 months now, and am still having some trouble with some nerve pain. On this journey since I realised that gluten was causing me chronic pain, I have discovered that dairy does as well, rice seems to be an issue as well as bananas. Now I’ve been off those foods and had a bad day yesterday as well as today. My diet is clean as possible. My question is, what other possibilities could it be? Bananas tend to make my feet hurt and make my legs really tight. If bananas do that, what else could cause similar problems? Could it be the fructose? Anyone else have these problems, my main source of carb is sweet potato. I’m at the point where I’m worried about almost everything I eat. Is it a potassium problem? Do I just eat too much and I need to take down my calories? Pretty rough times at the moment, if anyone could give me some helpful hints, I’d appreciate it 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Chris!  

If I recall you are struggling with pain and neuropathy.  Nerve damage can take a long time to heal, if healing is even possible.  I would hate for you to give up so many foods.  Have you tried a 4 or 7day food rotation diet?  This can help to avoid or calm down a food intolerance or allergy.  In theory, you give you body some time (a few days) to forget that food.  Of course, this does not apply to gluten.  Because gluten triggers an autoimmune reaction.  

What  does “eat too much mean”?  Just a large quantity or are you grazing all the time?  I do intermittent fasting (12 to 16 hours).  At first, I did the fasting to help with my insulin resistance.  Then I found that it helped to have a GI break.  I think it allows time to heal.  Because after a gluten exposure, digesting anything can hurt.  

It does sound like you are on the right course.  It is frustrating to have setbacks, but it sounds like there have been more positives.  I hope others can chime in. 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I had 13 intolerances after my gluten challenge. Gluten, corn, and cow milk/products are still enemies to my immune system. It locks and loads and says No!

Cycling ladies suggestion to rotate helps. I did a food elimination diet to check for intolerances and a food diary initially. I kept foods to below 5 ingrediants. 

Just a thought somethings I use to eat with gluten on a regular basis, I had to remove for quite sometime. I believe my immune system associated that food with gluten and my immune system would rev up patrolling for gluten. My immune system is super hyperviligilant , a gluten detecting savant , beyond my humble human detection 👍😉

Did you regularly pair banana with gluten? Example gluten banana muffins etc? You might need to drop it for a while or pair it with other things .

Example initially I did lots of smoothies in the start as I struggled to digest. When I mixed coconut milk, or almond milk with fruit and veggies it had a lot to sort through that didn't paired together in my past diet history.  This self appointed strategy kept my immune system occupied without the usually paired suspects sending it into high alert. I looked for recipes that had some unique combos I didn't usually put together.

My nerve issues take a long time. As you heal make sure you are supporting your nerves with the nutrients they need. For me I need to watch my B's, Mg, vitamin D . Stress or lots of physical busy activity can run those B's down so the nerves may "complain" to let you know.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Edited by Awol cast iron stomach
Spelling

Join eNewsletter

On 6/25/2020 at 6:29 AM, Chris H said:

So I’ve been gluten free for 18 months now, and am still having some trouble with some nerve pain. On this journey since I realised that gluten was causing me chronic pain, I have discovered that dairy does as well, rice seems to be an issue as well as bananas. Now I’ve been off those foods and had a bad day yesterday as well as today. My diet is clean as possible. My question is, what other possibilities could it be? Bananas tend to make my feet hurt and make my legs really tight. If bananas do that, what else could cause similar problems? Could it be the fructose? Anyone else have these problems, my main source of carb is sweet potato. I’m at the point where I’m worried about almost everything I eat. Is it a potassium problem? Do I just eat too much and I need to take down my calories? Pretty rough times at the moment, if anyone could give me some helpful hints, I’d appreciate it 

Bananas, rice, are very carby foods.  Dairy has lactose sugar in it and is hard to digest with damaged villi.  The carby foods are converted to sugar in the gut.  That can cause bacteria to thrive or higher blood glucose or both.  So maybe check your blood glucose?  I know my dad had muscle cramps from T2 diabetes in his legs.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter

On 6/25/2020 at 5:29 AM, Chris H said:

corn!!!!!!

Join eNewsletter

On 6/30/2020 at 7:49 AM, Awol cast iron stomach said:

😊

Hello i also just found out i am allergic to RICE. I was fine for months after i stopped eaten wheat gluten then like 3 months ago i started feeling weird symptoms and now i know it is CORN and RICE i can't eat either. I am going to the allergist soon. I thought rice would be fine. NOPE. I just ate half a rice VANS waffle ( corn free) (gluten-free)  to see if I could eat RICE , and i reacted!!! So i will NEVER eat grains again!!!! I gotta learn how to cook with almond flour. My funny symptoms was half ass sneezes, and of course when i went to bed INSOMNIA and shakyness.  &WIRED brain!! Low blood sugar feeling and no appetite.

Today I feel like s**T. I knew i shouldn't have tried the rice waffle.

CORN and RICE allergy is common with celiacs.  Dr Osborne explains all that.   Ya sad that in all gluten-free stuff is nothing but grains and  corns.  smh.  But they do have paleo mixes.  

Join eNewsletter

4 hours ago, zenith12 said:

Hello i also just found out i am allergic to RICE. I was fine for months after i stopped eaten wheat gluten then like 3 months ago i started feeling weird symptoms and now i know it is CORN and RICE i can't eat either. I am going to the allergist soon. I thought rice would be fine. NOPE. I just ate half a rice VANS waffle ( corn free) (gluten-free)  to see if I could eat RICE , and i reacted!!! So i will NEVER eat grains again!!!! I gotta learn how to cook with almond flour. My funny symptoms was half ass sneezes, and of course when i went to bed INSOMNIA and shakyness.  &WIRED brain!! Low blood sugar feeling and no appetite.

Today I feel like s**T. I knew i shouldn't have tried the rice waffle.

CORN and RICE allergy is common with celiacs.  Dr Osborne explains all that.   Ya sad that in all gluten-free stuff is nothing but grains and  corns.  smh.  But they do have paleo mixes.  

Zenith,

You could have an intolerance or allergy to any of those ingredients in those Van waffles.  Heck, they even had a recall last year because the mixed up gluten waffles and gluten-free waffles.  

Cook some plain rice.  Eat it.  Wait a few hours.  If you get sick, you have a better idea that your claim of being allergic to rice is true.    Better yet, avoid rice for one week, then cook plain rice and consume a cup and wait for any reactions.  

While corn is a common intolerance, rice is not.  Dr. Osborne is a quack!  

I see you are taking my advice to avoid processed foods to heart!  😆. I see too, that you do not believe that Dr. Osborne is kind of a quack.  His goal is to profit by selling you his products.  By golly he is a chiropractor who jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon years ago.   

https://celiacsimplified.com/2019/07/03/how-the-gluten-free-society-is-ripping-you/

Gee, do you have money to invest?  I have some soon-to-be Oceanfront   property (after California falls into the ocean)  in Arizona to sell.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

On 6/25/2020 at 5:29 AM, Chris H said:

Bananas tend to make my feet hurt and make my legs really tight.

my main source of carb is sweet potato. 

Pretty rough times at the moment, if anyone could give me some helpful hints, I’d appreciate it 

Chris H,

I needed extra thiamine and niacin at the beginning.  Thiamine and niacin are B vitamins that your body needs to turn fats and carbohydrates, like bananas and sweet potato, into energy your body can use.  

Signs you're not getting enough Thiamine and Niacin are feelings of tightness and edema (swelling) in your lower legs and tingling in your extremities.  Anxiety and insomnia are others.

Sweet potatoes became my carb when I first went gluten free.  Unfortunately, sweet potatoes contain a chemical, a thiaminase, that destroys thiamine and makes it unusable in the body.  

I took extra thiamine and niacin supplements (and magnesium that works with them) to fill up my body's low supply.  Now carbohydrates are not problem.  

Hope this helps!

9 hours ago, zenith12 said:

My funny symptoms was half ass sneezes, and of course when i went to bed INSOMNIA and shakyness.  &WIRED brain!! Low blood sugar feeling and no appetite.

Zenith, 

Insomnia, feeling wired, and shakiness, and no energy and no appetite are all symptoms of not enough Thiamine to properly digest carbohydrates.  

You might want to consider supplementing with thiamine, as well as niacin and magnesium.  All are involved in digesting those carbs and turning them into energy for your body.  

Hope this helps!

Knitty Kitty

Join eNewsletter

16 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Chris H,

I needed extra thiamine and niacin at the beginning.  Thiamine and niacin are B vitamins that your body needs to turn fats and carbohydrates, like bananas and sweet potato, into energy your body can use.  

Signs you're not getting enough Thiamine and Niacin are feelings of tightness and edema (swelling) in your lower legs and tingling in your extremities.  Anxiety and insomnia are others.

Sweet potatoes became my carb when I first went gluten free.  Unfortunately, sweet potatoes contain a chemical, a thiaminase, that destroys thiamine and makes it unusable in the body.  

I took extra thiamine and niacin supplements (and magnesium that works with them) to fill up my body's low supply.  Now carbohydrates are not problem.  

Hope this helps!

Zenith, 

Insomnia, feeling wired, and shakiness, and no energy and no appetite are all symptoms of not enough Thiamine to properly digest carbohydrates.  

You might want to consider supplementing with thiamine, as well as niacin and magnesium.  All are involved in digesting those carbs and turning them into energy for your body.  

Hope this helps!

Knitty Kitty

NO cross reactivity to rice and corn is VERY REAL. You are wrong!!  NOW i feel so much better now that the rice is out of my system.  Please get informed and do your research.  Look up the symptoms. Shakiness and nervousness is how my body reacts. Sneezing is one of them too which i was doing.  It feels like getting glutened by wheat except much milder. But it wires your brain and gives you complete foggyness and insomnia.  

Join eNewsletter

Just now, zenith12 said:

NO cross reactivity to rice and corn is VERY REAL. You are wrong!!  NOW i feel so much better now that the rice is out of my system.  Please get informed and do your research.  Look up the symptoms. Shakiness and nervousness is how my body reacts. Sneezing is one of them too which i was doing.  It feels like getting glutened by wheat except much milder. But it wires your brain and gives you complete foggyness and insomnia.  

I cant take vitamins, They all have rice or corn in them. I am still doing reaseach on finding the right ones.  Vitamin C is derrived from corn.  So now i stopped taking my vitamins. I don't know if i am that sensitive to derrivitives of corn or not.  i will have to test that out.I was eating FULL ON rice and FULL on corn and getting GLUTENED reactions. ther is a doctor right now on youtube that talks about cross reactivity.He said the worse was   RICE  CORN  MILLET   YEAST and a couple others. I have a very attuned sensitive system so i am NOT suprised that now i cant handle  corn  or rice.  Good luck.

Join eNewsletter

On 7/2/2020 at 12:48 PM, zenith12 said:

Corn and rice do contain peptide chains that resemble segments of gluten peptide chains.  Casein in dairy, yeast, and chicken meat also do, too.  

You still need thiamine to help digest them.  

Read this.....same symptoms.....wired brain, etc...

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/connecting-symptom-dots-discovering-thiamine-deficiency/

And this...

https://www.thehealthy.com/nutrition/silent-signs-thiamine-deficiency/

Edited by knitty kitty
Add link

Join eNewsletter