Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Rate this topic

Recently started using CBD oil, just in tincture form. Been helping out with anxiety and insomnia but I read something today that it could be glutenous if its processed on shared lines and, ironically, its been causing me anxiety.

Reached out to MedTerra who I purchased from any got this prompt response:

Thanks for reaching out! Although our products do not have any ingredients that contain gluten, we cannot guarantee that the products were not manufactured using machines that may have also been used to manufacture products that do contain gluten. Therefore, if it is dangerous for you to consume any amount of gluten, you may not want to risk using our products.

Not sure if this is legal CYOA or what. Since CBD oil is barely regulated and a lot of the companies are shady to begin with (thanks to the lack of regulation) I'm not sure if any actually "gluten free" brands are worth their salt. MedTerra goes through a lot to test their purity so its ironic to me that they don't test for gluten. Ingredients are just CBD and MCT carrier oil derived from coconuts so its hard to imagine them containing high levels of gluten, especially given the a) focus on purity and b) minimal processing compared to pills, edibles, or cosmetics. Its further complicated by the fact that CBD oil can cause stomach issues while also ameliorating the pain and GI inflammation that come with celiac. I started a dose on Wednesday. My stomach was disagreeable on Thursday but only after dinner and about 22 hours after the dose. No pain or other symptoms, so its likely a false alarm and dinner just didn't sit well. Taking some CBD oil after I got sick actually helped settle my stomach ironically enough. Of course, I'm leery of invisible damage occurring. 

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on whether or not this stuff is safe? Does anyone have experience with MedTerra or other brands not explicitly advertised as gluten free, or is it worth finding a bona fide gluten free brand? From a few hours of anxiety-induced research it looks like a lot of celiacs rely on CBD oil, but there aren't many discussions of whether or not its safe. Those discussions that do exist are usually from vendors trying to hawk their wares...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can't think of a reason that CBD oil would contain any gluten, but then again, there are 100's of foods that shouldn't contain hidden gluten, but do. I suppose they could put cheaper wheat germ oil in it to be more profitable by diluting the product. I do think many celiac could benefit from using CBD oil, as it has many benefits, especially for those whose celiac symptoms include arthritic pain.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

8 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

I can't think of a reason that CBD oil would contain any gluten, but then again, there are 100's of foods that shouldn't contain hidden gluten, but do. I suppose they could put cheaper wheat germ oil in it to be more profitable by diluting the product. I do think many celiac could benefit from using CBD oil, as it has many benefits, especially for those whose celiac symptoms include arthritic pain.

Yeah it did good for my anxiety for the 2 days where I was using it. I did end up getting glutened by its possible it could have been something else (I ate mushrooms over the weekend, usually have good luck with them). 

Any brands that are safe?