Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
3 3
Meg G

Help. Gluten free and still suffering from horrible gluten rash

Rate this topic

I’ve been gluten free for months. About 4 weeks ago I cut out all grains including cassava flour, all nuts and seeds, coffee, chocolate, sugar, corn, iodine, white potatoes, onions and garlic (doctor’s recommendation) night shade vegetables, alcohol, legumes and dairy. This gluten rash started about 8 months ago. Unfortunately it took me a few months to realize what it was. I’m considering eliminating eggs next. Right now my diet consists of eggs, fruit, vegetables, all things coconut, meat and seasonings, lots of water from an RO system and occasionally hot tea. Any advice you would have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had to look up the AIP diet, it looks to be the "Autoimmune Protocol Diet." Just so you know, eggs are 100% gluten-free, and should not trigger DH, so this may not be your answer. Certainly some celiacs and others have egg intolerance, I had chicken egg intolerance temporarily for a few years at the time of my celiac diagnosis (duck eggs caused me no issues), but you may need to examine your diet in more detail to eliminate hidden gluten. For example you mentioned cassava flour, and flour is often milled in facilities and with the same machinery that mill other flours. 

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

I had a similar problem ... I went gluten free but continued to have DH rash for years!

I only found relief when I started following the Fasano Diet, which was created by Dr. Allesio Fasano. He's the top guy when it comes to studying celiac, so if you haven't already read up on him and his dietary recommendation, do so. He wrote an excellent book called Gluten Freedom, which I recommend.

Are you still eating processed foods? I've discovered that even after getting things under control I cannot handle processed foods, even if they are certified gluten free. I gather that I have an extremely low tolerance for gluten (certified gluten free products are able to contain up to 19 parts per million, depending on the certification body).

Eat natural, healthy foods. Be patient. Dapsone may help with the rash, but ultimately it can't resolve the problem if you are still getting exposed.

On 12/13/2020 at 4:39 PM, NoGlutensToday said:

I had a similar problem ... I went gluten free but continued to have DH rash for years!

I only found relief when I started following the Fasano Diet, which was created by Dr. Allesio Fasano. He's the top guy when it comes to studying celiac, so if you haven't already read up on him and his dietary recommendation, do so. He wrote an excellent book called Gluten Freedom, which I recommend.

Are you still eating processed foods? I've discovered that even after getting things under control I cannot handle processed foods, even if they are certified gluten free. I gather that I have an extremely low tolerance for gluten (certified gluten free products are able to contain up to 19 parts per million, depending on the certification body).

Eat natural, healthy foods. Be patient. Dapsone may help with the rash, but ultimately it can't resolve the problem if you are still getting exposed.

Thank you so much for your advice! I’ll definitely research that diet. When I eat anything processed even the cleanest chicken broth I can find I have had reactions. 

On 12/8/2020 at 12:27 PM, Scott Adams said:

I had to look up the AIP diet, it looks to be the "Autoimmune Protocol Diet." Just so you know, eggs are 100% gluten-free, and should not trigger DH, so this may not be your answer. Certainly some celiacs and others have egg intolerance, I had chicken egg intolerance temporarily for a few years at the time of my celiac diagnosis (duck eggs caused me no issues), but you may need to examine your diet in more detail to eliminate hidden gluten. For example you mentioned cassava flour, and flour is often milled in facilities and with the same machinery that mill other flours. 

Thank you! Since the original post I purchased my own pots to cook my food completely separately from my family. I was careful before now I’m not taking any chances. The forum here has helped tremendously! I Can’t express my gratitude enough for this forum. DH is not only painful but emotionally crushing. With The help of my doctor and advice from this from I’m 95% healed. Thank you!

The problem with eggs is the iodine content, not gluten.  People with DH seem to find relief faster when they limit iodine.  Per posts on the forum at least

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul