Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
3 3
Mer123

Weight gain, insomnia, highest genetic marker waiting for biopsy

Rate this topic

I've read countless times of undiagnosed Celiacs losing weight or being unable to gain and retain weight.  In my own case however in the year leading up to my own genetic test, (highest possible markers for celiac disease) I had many symptoms such as a persistent fungal infections, rotting teeth, rashes and edema and although I have to continue to eat gluten though while I wait for the biopsy, of all the symptoms............. the ones that really get my goat are the mysterious chronic weight gain (I gained 3 and half stone or 24.5 kilos in 8 months) and chronic insomnia (most nights I get 2 or three hours of poor quality sleep) I wouldn't even have thought (before this) it was possible to exist on so little sleep.  Posts from others about weight loss following a gluten free diet, has given me hope that I will lose the excessive weight once I am able to stop eating gluten but what of the insomnia? I went to the doctor who prescribed melantonin but its made no difference, I'm desperate and considering getting a script for some harder sleeping pills, I'm wondering is this even a symptom of celiac or something else again?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

10 hours ago, Mer123 said:

such as a persistent fungal infections

I had a constantly recurring fungal infection on my skin in the palm area of my hand...  after being diagnosed and going gluten free..  it's never returned...

For sleep try taking Magnesium before bed...

But sleep should improve after going gluten free too.

Insomnia would not be a typical symptom of celiac disease, but in some people celiac disease manifests itself as a nerve disease, and some people can get ataxia, seizures, headaches, etc. It's possible that it is related, and if so, it should get better after time on a gluten-free diet. Have you tried exercise and meditation?

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com