This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Optivia weight loss diet

Miska

Miska Newbie

My husband put my 17 year old son who is celiac on the Optivia weight loss diet made by Medifast. Some of the things say gluten free some don’t but then my husband says there are no ingredients but the box doesn’t say certified gluten free. I tried explaining to him that there may be cross contamination that is why some don’t say certified. My son started diet and right afterwards threw up and feels terrible. Has anyone have any information on this diet?  It does say bio engineered so that doesn’t sound healthy. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatwacked Veteran

In your son's case, it doesn't matter he can't eat it. If he throws it up, it can't be good for him.

DO EGGS HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT?

Edited by Wheatwacked
Miska Newbie

My husband says he is just getting sick bc his body is adjusting to this diet.  Ugh. Although I know bio engineered diet is poor diet as well. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hi @Miska, welcome to the forum. Only the makers of those foods can tell you if they are safe, so it would be best for you to call them and go over each one individually, especially any that are not labelled gluten-free. Many foods can be made on shared equipment, and if that is the case here, there is a real chance that there could be gluten contamination in some of them. 

Your husband should not be getting sick while trying to adjust to this diet.

Miska Newbie

Thank you for your responses! I will call them. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Please let us know what you find out.

knitty kitty Grand Master

You should show this article to your husband and son.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/optavia-diet?c=207111119#downsides

"Specifically, these products contain large amounts of food additives, sugar substitutes, and processed vegetable oils, which may harm your gut health and contribute to chronic inflammation.

Carrageenan, a common thickener and preservative used in many Fuelings, is derived from red seaweed. While research on its safety is limited, animal and test-tube studies suggest that it may negatively affect digestive health and cause intestinal ulcers.

Many Fuelings also contain maltodextrin, a thickening agent that has been shown to spike blood sugar levels and damage your gut bacteria.

While these additives are likely safe in small amounts, consuming them frequently on the Optavia diet may increase your risk of side effects."

This is a much healthier diet scientifically proven to promote healing in Celiac Disease.  The AIP diet is more sustainable, your son will be more likely to stick with it in the long run.  

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/aip-diet-autoimmune-protocol-diet

"The Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) is a diet that aims to reduce inflammation, pain, and other symptoms caused by autoimmune diseases, such as lupus, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), celiac disease, and rheumatoid arthritis."

The AIP diet gets our bodies to burn fat for energy, so your son will be able to lose weight at a healthy pace with real food.  

Also, a B Complex supplement would be beneficial.

Hope this helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
Termite Newbie
On 4/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, Miska said:

My husband put my 17 year old son who is celiac on the Optivia weight loss diet made by Medifast. Some of the things say gluten free some don’t but then my husband says there are no ingredients but the box doesn’t say certified gluten free. I tried explaining to him that there may be cross contamination that is why some don’t say certified. My son started diet and right afterwards threw up and feels terrible. Has anyone have any information on this diet?  It does say bio engineered so that doesn’t sound healthy. Thanks!

There are safer ways to achieve the goal. Optavia is a starvation diet. Many have been hospitalized from using their meal plans. I have 2 family members and their spouses losing weight. The one who is a coach for that program and her husband look sickly and lost too much too fast. She however has gained a lot back. The other pair are doing it without optavia by eating real food and exercising which optavia doesn’t do and prides itself on. We need exercise to activate metabolically and they help with the hormones to lose weight.  They are doing so good and look very healthy and sustaining the loss. Optavia food is garbage. 

Miska Newbie
3 hours ago, Termite said:

There are safer ways to achieve the goal. Optavia is a starvation diet. Many have been hospitalized from using their meal plans. I have 2 family members and their spouses losing weight. The one who is a coach for that program and her husband look sickly and lost too much too fast. She however has gained a lot back. The other pair are doing it without optavia by eating real food and exercising which optavia doesn’t do and prides itself on. We need exercise to activate metabolically and they help with the hormones to lose weight.  They are doing so good and look very healthy and sustaining the loss. Optavia food is garbage. 

My husband soon to be ex looks sickly. His eyes are sunken in and he is too skinny.  He looks malnourished for sure.  Luckly my 17 yr old refuses to go on this diet and wants to achieve his goal with more exercise and healthier eating.   Thank you for your response!

Termite Newbie

I hope your soon to be ex May be willing to allow you to show him how detrimental that diet is. There are many you tube videos of registered dieticians and doctors and former optavia dieters  employing people to stop this diet plan. 

Miska Newbie
1 hour ago, Termite said:

I hope your soon to be ex May be willing to allow you to show him how detrimental that diet is. There are many you tube videos of registered dieticians and doctors and former optavia dieters  employing people to stop this diet plan. 

1 hour ago, Termite said:

Thank you I will look those videos up for myself. Right now he’s not speaking to me and has blocked me. Thank you so much for your reply!