Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VydorScope

Explaining To Medical Proffestionals..

I have noticed when I go to a doc or hospital, heck even some resturants and refer to our condition as "Celiac Disease" no one understand what I am talking about, but if I call it "Gluten Intolerent" many ppl know what it is.

Is this true everywhere or is this just a local thing?

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have noticed this too. Sometimes people refer to me as having an intolerence. I correct them and say it is a disease! Maybe it is a psychological thing? The word disease makes people uncomfortable. Just a guess :)

Hez

My wife had surgery last year and the hospitle did not have a clue about her condition. We were there for 4 days, after the secon day the lady who ran the kitchen came to our room for a personal talk with us about what we needed. She was back the next day to see how things were going and while she was there the staff delivered my wife's "special" meal that consisted of a turkey and dressing with gravey all over it and a peice of cake.

The very last meal that was delivered was gluten free, bacon and eggs, but we were packed and on the way home.

Respectfully:

Mike aka tenderhusband to Darcy

" The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him no good whatsoever" Robert E. Lee

I think it must be an "intolerance" on the part of others for such harsh-sounding words as "disease." Perhaps they are trying to be politically correct, as in saying one "has a disability" instead of saying one "is retarded." I prefer to call a spade a spade, but not in a hateful manner or tone.

Mike, it sounds like they finally figured it out, just a little too late for Darcy! Maybe the next time they get a celiac patient, it will not take them so long!

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25