• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Moongirl

Is It An Allergy?

Rate this topic

I know that we all have some other type of allergy, but when you guys talk about allergies, do you mean an oral allergy, where ur throat itches and your tongue swells, or do you mean ur stomach/intestinal tract doesnt agree with you.

Cause Ive been reading some things, and i get confused sometimes when people say "allergies" I feel like sometimes they should be saying "intolerances"

Basically if the reaction is immediate, happens everytime the offending food is consumed with obvious allergic type symptoms (i.e. swelling, rashes, etc) and is positive in an IgE food allergy test then its an allergy. An intolerance is usually delayed reaction, symptoms vary, reactions are often dose related, triggering foods are often difficult to identify and results for IgE "allergies" are negative. Intolerances involve IgG or IgA antibodies. IgG Intolerances can often go away with avoidance of the offending food (unless its gluten)....true allergies generally are "fixed" and do not go away even if you avoid the food.

I read a summary that said the difference is that allergies are an immune reaction and intolerances are not (ie: lactose intolerance is due to a lack of the lactase enzyme, not an immune response). However... wouldn't that make gluten intolerance an allergy, rather than an intolerance? Our reaction to gluten certainly involves the immune system, and it's a lot more serious than lactose intolerance.

Also, there's a 3rd thing to add to the confusion - food sensitivities (IgG). I believe THESE are dose-dependent, and they're also reversible. Whereas classic allergies (anaphylactic types) and the gluten thing are NOT reversible. So wouldn't that make it a true allergy also? Our problem with gluten is nearer to the life-death problem IgE anaphylactic allergic people have to deal with than it is to lactose intolerance!

In addition, for me (and a lot of you too, I know), my reaction to gluten is not dose dependent at all - I can get just as sick from licking an envelope as I can from drinking a beer.

I prefer to refer to my condition as an allergy - I find it helps people understand the seriousness of it (ie: a tiny bit DOES matter), and also that this is a life long permanent thing, not a passing sensitivity or a digestive problem like lactose intolerance. I appreciate of course that it's not a classic allergy, that if I do accidentally consume gluten I won't actually die right there at the restaurant, but for the sake of dealing with waitstaff etc. I find "allergy" makes their ears prick up, and helps them take the cross-contamination issue more seriously. (Usually!)

Allergies can be immediately life threatening; however, intolerances are not immediately life threatening. A lot of the symptoms of allergies can be quite similar to intolerance symptoms, so many people can get confused. Some allergy symptoms can include a swelling throat, hives, rash, and heart problems.

The immune response you get from gluten is completely different from that of an allergy. Celiac Disease is autoimmune....allergies are not. I think its easier for people to understand the terminology when you refer to it as an "allergy" but whats going on inside the body is a completely different thing.