This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beware Of Tcby

Moongirl

Moongirl Community Regular

Here is what TCBY wrote back to me when i asked them about their gluten-free ice creams:

Dear Tamar,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail our Customer Service Department.

The majority of our frozen yogurt products do not contain gluten. As a rule of thumb, you will want to avoid flavors that obviously contain wheat, rye, oats, or barley (e.g., Cheesecake, Cookies 'n' Cream, Chocolate Malt, etc.). None of our sorbet flavors contain gluten. Some of our new Hand Scooped Frozen Yogurt flavors may contain gluten; individuals wishing to avoid gluten may want to check the ingredients in each of these flavors before consuming them.

I have attached a list of the ingredients in our various products, should you wish to have it for your reference. I hope you find it helpful.

If you have any further comments or questions about TCBY, please feel free to contact us again either by phone at (800) 348-6311 or through our Web site at www.tcby.com.

Mrs. Fields Famous Brands wants to be your first choice for the best snack, gifting, and treat experience today.

Thank you for contacting Mrs. Fields Famous Brands on-line.

Robert Schicker

Customer Service Representative

So I wrote back asking about their natural and artificial flavors that are listed in the attachment...

So if I went to the TCBY store, and ordered frozen yogurt, the natural and artifical flavorings that are listed would be gluten-free? What about the toppings?

Here is their reponse..... :angry:

Dear Tamar,

According to our Research and Development Department, the natural and artificial flavors in our product could possibly come from wheat, oats, barley, or rye. However, the gluten wouldn't be at a high enough level to cause a reaction.

I have attached a list of the ingredients used in several of our toppings that you should find helpfu.

Robert Schicker

So I wrote back giving them an earful about that wonderful statement....please feel free to email them or call and let them know too ;) I waiting for another email from them to see if they say anything, i will keep you posted.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Good work gluten detective! :D

Let's add this to the list of companies that just don't get it, and that we will avoid. :angry:

Mrs. Field's Famous Brands will hide gluten on the label - under natural flavor. :ph34r:

L.

Becky6 Enthusiast

GRR!!

TimSpfd Newbie

Thanks for this, it explains some things. I had gotten the usual email response but didn't check into the natural flavors part. Will have to totally avoid them in the future I guess.

Lillyth Explorer

I just sent them this:

Having just reviewed a response from your company to an inquiry as to which of your flavors are gluten-free ("According to our Research and Development Department, the natural and artificial flavors in our product could possibly come from wheat, oats, barley, or rye. However, the gluten wouldn't be at a high enough level to cause a reaction."), I have decided never to patronize your company, and further, to tell everyone I know never to patronize your company.

If you cannot be bothered to ensure the safety and wellfare of potential customers, I cannot be bothered to shop at your stores.

schuyler Apprentice
I just sent them this:

Having just reviewed a response from your company to an inquiry as to which of your flavors are gluten-free ("According to our Research and Development Department, the natural and artificial flavors in our product could possibly come from wheat, oats, barley, or rye. However, the gluten wouldn't be at a high enough level to cause a reaction."), I have decided never to patronize your company, and further, to tell everyone I know never to patronize your company.

If you cannot be bothered to ensure the safety and wellfare of potential customers, I cannot be bothered to shop at your stores.

Good for you!! I, for one, will never go there again. It's too bad because I really like yogart, but if they don't care about me and my health, then I'll stay away from their store. It's their loss!

Danielle

Lillyth Explorer

MORE from TCBY...

(Please reference my original email to TCBY above).

Their response:

Dear Mrs. Keogh,

Thank you again for your comments regarding the potential of gluten bein present in our products at TCBY. As I mentioned, I forwarded your concerns to our Research and Development Department, and they have provided a more explanatory response:

"The natural flavors in our product could contain components derived from wheat, oats, barley, or rye. These components, however, have been naturally processed to be relatively free of gluten. The trace amount of gluten that may remain is far too low to cause a reaction and should not be a concern to celiacs."

I hope this helps. If you have any further comments or concerns about TCBY, please let me know.

Robert Schicker

MY reponse to their response:

Dear Robert,

While I thank you for your response, words such as “could”, “relatively”, and “should not” are major cause for concern with someone of my condition. It sounds like you and your company are not aware that a celiac’s body reacts to the presence of gluten as though it were a poison.

Would you consume a product that claimed it “could” contain components of arsenic, even though the product “should be” “relatively” free of this deadly poison? I think not.

Until such time as you and your company choose to take my health concerns and the health concerns of people with my medical condition quite seriously, I prefer not to take my chances with something that “should not”, or possibly “could” cause me severe & prolonged health problems. And quite the same as I would advise anyone in a wheelchair not to patronize any establishment without a wheelchair ramp, I will continue to advise anyone with my health condition to refrain from patronizing your store, as our health concerns are clearly not that important to you.

Sincerely,

Lillyth Keogh

P.S. I also find it rather amusing that my original email, responding to your company’s reaction (cut and paste below):

“Having just reviewed a response from your company to an inquiry as to which of your flavors are gluten-free ("According to our Research and Development Department, the natural and artificial flavors in our product could possibly come from wheat, oats, barley, or rye. However, the gluten wouldn't be at a high enough level to cause a reaction."), I have decided never to patronize your company, and further, to tell everyone I know never to patronize your company.

If you cannot be bothered to ensure the safety and wellfare of potential customers, I cannot be bothered to shop at your stores.”

You simply sent back the exact same wording I had a problem with in the first place. I, for one, really DO NOT feel listened to as a customer, or even as a potential customer. If you cannot guarantee our safety consuming your products, why not just say so – at least THAT I could respect…

"The theatre, he said, was useful because it ridiculed prejudice, and under the guise of entertainment it taught virtue."

~Gustave Flaubert

My hubby thinks I was a bit over the top - what do ya'll think?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Over the top? No way! Go, Lillyth! :D

• 1 month later...
KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I have never had a problem with TCBY but I do not trust their toppings so I stay away from them...hate that response!

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

!

Rusla Enthusiast

It truly amazes me how many people, companies, and doctors imagine they know how much will affect any one of us with this condition. While one person may react to a small chunk of bread, another may not react till they have had a whole piece. Then there are people like myself who react to what could be called "microsocpic" amounts.

Who do they think they are that they can be so cavalier about our health and lives. They are arogant to assume that whatever amount is in their products cannot cause any of us problems.

No, I do not think you went over the deep end as your husband thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Anya78 Explorer

I was very interested to find this thread when I searched for TCBY on here. I'm currently having what I believe to be a gluten reaction.....my first in more than 8 months since I became pregnant (I've been very careful). I love TCBY and I "knew" that I'd read it was gluten-free. I've been craving it and so I went yesterday and bought a quart to keep in the freezer. I ate some of it last night and this morning I feel like I'm having a moderate reaction. At first I was just blaming the fact that I'm pregnant for feeling cruddy today (just figured I'm having a bad day) but as the day progresses I'm feeling more and more like I've been glutened (not to mention the time I've been spending in the bathroom -- TMI!) Perhaps it's a reaction to the unidentified "flavors" and such in the TCBY!! Guess I'll never be sure, but you can bet I won't be eating the rest of the quart that I bought!!

-

Archived