Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DingoGirl

For Women - Question About Periods....

Wow...of all my research of Celiac, I hadn't heard that it could mess up the menstrual cycle as well. Seems natural that it would, now that I think of it.

Mine stopped for four months, and I though it was due to stress and being underweight while I spent several months in Alaska. I am finally getting one each month, now, but are so painful that I almost fainted several times at work. One month they will be heavy...the next month so light I don't even need protection.

Do you guys (gals) experience this? How long did they take to even out again?

Anything I can do to help it along?

Also: the weight gain issues mentioned. I have a rather strange weight issue. I was underweight when I came back from AK (around 109) and a size 6. Then I gained almost 50 pounds and was diagnosed with Celiac...but I'm still only a size 8. What is going on when you gain so much weight...but don't show it? Is this something that's typical for a Celiac? Anybody else experiencing this?

--Fionnghuala

Guest BERNESES
I have always had regular periods, almost down to what time of day it was going to start. It lasted 3 days, Everything was great about it ( if that could be). Now I have not had a period since November. I just get spotting. I'm on the pill but there is no rhyme or reasoning for when the spotting happens. I misscarried in Oct. :( Don't know if it had to do with my Celiac or not. I found out that I had Celiac's in March.

mortamer- I'm so sorry about the miscarriage. Undiagnosed Celiac's have a much higher risk of infertility/miscarriage so now that you are gluten-free, maybe you can try again if you want. HUGS to you.

I stopped getting my period in January after 38 years of being like clockwork (even when I was at my sickest and most underweight, I only missed one).

Fionaaghuala- maybe you gained back some muscle and your body is holding it differently?

I had very long and painful periods also before diagnosis. Unfortuately, we didn't diagnose in time and I ended up with cervical dysplasia (stage 3) and then Endometriosis. I ended up with a complete hystorectomy at 27 and menopause. Celiac is the cause for all of these problems so if you are not clearing up on the diet I would definately check with your doctors to rule out these other problems. I wish I had been diagnosed 10 years ago. It would have saved alot of pain and anguish.