This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beignets?

GreySaber

GreySaber Apprentice

Beignets, New Orleans donuts. This might be something doable as far as a gluten free donut. Has anyone experimented in this reguard?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Beignets, New Orleans donuts. This might be something doable as far as a gluten free donut. Has anyone experimented in this reguard?

I found this recipe on the Delphi forum a while back....haven't tried it but it sounds REALLY good. The gal who posted is French-Canadian, and all of the recipes I checked sounded great, actually. Try this link:

Open Original Shared Link

Let us know if you make them......a beignet could really work a lot of things out for me right now :rolleyes:

Susan

GreySaber Apprentice
Let us know if you make them......a beignet could really work a lot of things out for me right now :rolleyes:

Susan

I'll let you know. It may be awhile.... I went and spent all my money on gluten free corndogs..... <_<

They were very good corndogs.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I'll let you know. It may be awhile.... I went and spent all my money on gluten free corndogs..... <_<

They were very good corndogs.

Pray, do tell us about said corndogs....what, where, etc. :)

GreySaber Apprentice
Pray, do tell us about said corndogs....what, where, etc. :)

Gladly my dear. Normally such information would cost you a kiss, but since I have learned so much on ths forum, I am in debt to it and must off the information up for free.

Truthfully, I found out about them in this thread. Open Original Shared Link

They are from S'Better farms, which I think is a sort of silly name, but the product is excellent, AND damned expencive. I'm thinking about working up a recipe for corndogs on my own. The price for a box of their chicken nuggets and a box of their corn dogs was 18 dollars. :o:o:o

A personal recipe for these things is going to be a must though, since I love chicken nuggets and corndogs, and this price isn't something I can handle long term. Both were absolutely scrumptious however.

Here is the web page to s'better farms. Open Original Shared Link

Their boxes are kind of plain. (They use boxes, not baggys.)

They have a list of local distributers on their page, and I got them at my local kroger, but be warned, the address for that kroger listed on their web page was off by one number, so if you map to them, I highly recommend checking the address with whatever store you are looking at. It's also worth noting that S'Better farms are super extra kosher, and as such their products were in the jewish freezer section, and NOT the normal freezer, or the healthfood freezer sections. I needed help to find them. No objection to kosher, but I feel mildly slighted that they weren't in the health food section with all the other gluten free stuff.

I also highly recommend their chicken nuggets. Gracious they were good. Maybe I should go cook some more... No, must control self....

Now, I should mention I did NOT use an oven to cook their products, but did in fact boil them in canola oil. (I have a deep frying machine. I figure I shouldn't miss out, and I bought a fry daddy. I highly recommend those as well.) They list microwave, oven, and frying machine cooking directions, so I think this is intended.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Gladly my dear. Normally such information would cost you a kiss, but since I have learned so much on ths forum, I am in debt to it and must off the information up for free.

Well, corndogs won't get you a kiss, but a beignet....a GOOD beignet definitely might.... :)

penguin Community Regular

Here is a recipe that was posted in February:

I made these a few weeks ago, they were GOOD!!

1 cup gluten-free flour mix

2/3 cup cornmeal

2 Tbsp sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

2 Tbsp shortening

1 egg

3/4 cup milk

1 pound hotdogs

cooking oil

Combine flour mix, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, xanthan, salt and mustard in a bowl. Cut in shortening till mixture resembles fine crumbs.

Beat egg and milk in a separate bowl. Add to dry ingredients.

Dry hot dogs with a paper towel and cut into 1 inch long pieces.

Coat hot dog pieces well with batter and deep fry in hot oil (375 F) till golden brown.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Chelsea - I've googled the latin translations and can't find out what your phrase means...don't keep us in the dark any longer.....

penguin Community Regular
Chelsea - I've googled the latin translations and can't find out what your phrase means...don't keep us in the dark any longer.....

"Don't let the bastards keep you down"

I first got it from The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

DingoGirl Enthusiast
"Don't let the bastards keep you down"

I first got it from The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Oh, you are young and your brain didn't get fried from Celiac, did it....I don't read complicated books any more, was relegated to celebrity gossip magazines and the newspaper in the last few years....will pick up books again, hopefully, when I can remember plotlines... :unsure:

• 2 years later...
feierabend Newbie

I have a gluten free home in Louisiana and my daughter requested beignets. She was thrilled with them but I am going to continue to tweak my approach. The way I did it was to add a little extra sugar to my favorite and best performing biscuit dough. Then I deep fried them in a fry-daddy and dusted them with powdered sugar. They were very tasty and similar to 'real' beignets, though they didn't puff up as much as the ones you can get at the cafes.

Around here, non-Celiacs make beignets at home by cutting up canned biscuit dough, but there are other traditional beignet recipes that include yeast and my next experiment will be with a yeast dough to see if I can get extra puff.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Hi GreySaber,

here's a recipe for gluten-free 'Beignets' french doughnuts. (You even get a photo)

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

Archived