• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

clover

Calling Chicago Restaurants

Rate this topic

I've been trying to find some places that my mother & I can eat at while she's in Chicago. She loves to eat out at all the fancy yummy breakfast spots, which puts me in a bit of a bind. I've found a few places for dinner, but breakfast seems to be more difficult. I've been calling the places I'd like to eat and saying "even trace amounts of gluten will make me ill. would i be able to have a gluten-free meal at your restaurant?" so far the places I've asked have quickly said NO or "we can't guarantee anything even if you order gluten-free" (THAT from the MOST celiac friendly place The Chicago Diner).

I'm really disappointed. I feel like maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

Should I be LESS adament about the gluten and merely ask them to cook the eggs on tin foil? Should I ask ONLY when i am in person? Do I need to be more specific? Are there other ways to do this?

All tactics/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am facing this myself because lunch and dinner should be OK once we lay out our "battle plan" for eating but breakfast - hard to tell. Most places I call won't guarentee a perfectly safe meal anyway, however, I almost never have a problem and rarely get sick so therefore I am willing to accept possible CC because I don't have a celiac disease dx. The worst I suffer is gas and D later if there are problems. I carry Imodium and my IBS meds everywhere just in case.

Also, can you have dairy? If yes, take your own cereal, order a big glass of milk and ask for a bowl. You know you will be OK then...carry a big purse. My travel purse is much bigger because I often carry my own snacks, food, even drinks, into resturaunts.

I don't think any restaurant can gaurentee food without trace amounts of gluten, but they can try to do the best they can to accomodate you. They're probably just trying to cover their own a**es by saying they won't gaurentee that for you. Can you eat eggs? I think hard boiled eggs (unpeeled) are a safe breakfast choice at restaurants. You can order a couple hard boiled eggs with fruit. That way you can at least eat something with your mom.

Yep, I think you've doomed yourself with the "not even a trace". A restaurant kitchen is simply not that sterile of a place, and they're being honest in response to your request that they can't give you anything that certain.