This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cardio - How To Get Started ?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient
lol! :P It's bad, but I understand! :P Though, doing that the day after you gave blood... You crazy man, you crazy. Get some extra fruit in you tonight!

FRUIT? You sure? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tarnalberry Community Regular
FRUIT? You sure? :huh:

after giving blood? heck yeah. didn't they tell you anything? oh, they probably tried to load you up on crackers, and you can have them, I forgot. but I prefer fruit - you get vitamins too. when they take out all that blood, your blood sugar tends to go down as well. something for hypoglycemics to be very careful about during blood donation. (I always bring a gatorade or the like with me.) and eat plenty of food today/tomorrow to help your body replenish red blood cells and restabilize blood sugar. it's not *just* liquid volume you lose when you donate blood.

(I did suggest fruit, not remembering if you're so sensitive that fruit causes *large* swings for you. So YMMV.)

VydorScope Proficient
after giving blood? heck yeah. didn't they tell you anything? oh, they probably tried to load you up on crackers, and you can have them, I forgot. but I prefer fruit - you get vitamins too. when they take out all that blood, your blood sugar tends to go down as well. something for hypoglycemics to be very careful about during blood donation. (I always bring a gatorade or the like with me.) and eat plenty of food today/tomorrow to help your body replenish red blood cells and restabilize blood sugar. it's not *just* liquid volume you lose when you donate blood.

(I did suggest fruit, not remembering if you're so sensitive that fruit causes *large* swings for you. So YMMV.)

Oh they told me all knids of things, and have food and drinks, and mention somthing about getting extra sugar... but I was to light headed to realy listen :D

About 1/2 the time I give I pass out, this time I did drink 2 sprites while I was bleeding , and eat couple all beef hotdogs before heading over to do it, and I think it helped some.

Oh they told me all knids of things, and have food and drinks, and mention somthing about getting extra sugar... but I was to light headed to realy listen :D

About 1/2 the time I give I pass out, this time I did drink 2 sprites while I was bleeding , and eat couple all beef hotdogs before heading over to do it, and I think it helped some.

they also told you not to do any heavy lifting for the next 24 hours (especially with that arm) or do any particular exercise today. the former can leave you with a *huge* bruise, the later can leave you very faint. (yeah, I'm not so good at listening to instructions either :D , aside from eating a big meal for dinner. I can do that!)

but sprite? ugh! pardon me while I try to avoid sympathy blood sugar rollercoaster! lol!

VydorScope Proficient
they also told you not to do any heavy lifting for the next 24 hours (especially with that arm) or do any particular exercise today. the former can leave you with a *huge* bruise, the later can leave you very faint. (yeah, I'm not so good at listening to instructions either :D , aside from eating a big meal for dinner. I can do that!)

but sprite? ugh! pardon me while I try to avoid sympathy blood sugar rollercoaster! lol!

Yea I felt pretty bad rest of the day, but I made it there gave my blood and made it home (yes my wife came, no I did not let her drive :P ), so its a win no matter how many spoons it cost me!

I jsut wish I could find some shoes.... :angry:

CarlaB Enthusiast

My doc (ob/gyn) did some blood tests as part of my yearly physical. Just having that blood taken left a HUGE bruise on my arm!! You could see it as the nurse was taking the needle out. She said, Wow, you bruise easily. Six days later, it's still there! I can't imagine if I gave blood!

Good luck on the shoes. Yea, I hate buying shoes (read sarcasm), no, you may not look in my closet!! ;)

VydorScope Proficient

One time I bureisd from giving blood, only once... and my entire arm was bruised. I think I had a bumb nurse and realy did bad job.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
DID I mention I HATE shoe shooping?

The exact words my husband wishes I would utter....

I had to have blood drawn for testing a couple weeks ago. I got a huge bruise that didn't go away for over a week. Other times, though, I won't get a bruise from the needle at all. I think it depends on who is operating the needle ;)

Yeah, I usually bruise too. They look at me funny when I pre-emptively ask for ice for when they're done. They usually say "well, we'll see how it goes afterwards" and I'm like "hey, I know what my arm looks like half an hour after a blood draw 75% of the time, you don't. just give me the ice pack, thank you!" (they can wrap a small one to your arm so you don't have to hold it there... very convenient, and pretty helpful on the bruising)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Yeah, I usually bruise too. They look at me funny when I pre-emptively ask for ice for when they're done. They usually say "well, we'll see how it goes afterwards" and I'm like "hey, I know what my arm looks like half an hour after a blood draw 75% of the time, you don't. just give me the ice pack, thank you!" (they can wrap a small one to your arm so you don't have to hold it there... very convenient, and pretty helpful on the bruising)

I'll remember that. I used to never bruise, now it's always.

VydorScope Proficient

hehe Im a wacko...

I checked the last few times I ran... I lose 1 pound of sweat while running! :lol: To bad that does not realy count :angry:

Today I felt much better running and I think I could have gone longer then the 30 so I think wens I'll try 35 at the same 4.0mph.

hehe Im a wacko...

I checked the last few times I ran... I lose 1 pound of sweat while running! :lol: To bad that does not realy count :angry:

Today I felt much better running and I think I could have gone longer then the 30 so I think wens I'll try 35 at the same 4.0mph.

have you seen your doctor yet? did I miss that bit where you went in for the additional tests and got the results? *poke*

VydorScope Proficient
have you seen your doctor yet? did I miss that bit where you went in for the additional tests and got the results? *poke*

Nope thats schedualed for August 7th, thats been set up for a while, long before this run stuff. I get them twice yearly. They call it a "muga scan" or a "nuclear study" not realy sure what the offical name is, I have it noted in our files somewhere....

BTW OMG its freaking odd when they do it. Its the strangest feeling that defies any description. They talk some of your blood out and then store it in a freezer for a while (well they CALIM they are adding a nuclear dye to it, but I think they are ading ice water!), then they inject it bacl in to your arm. That clood blood rushing up your vien into your heart.... :o

VydorScope Proficient

Well I have not had a heart attack yet so I must be doing it right! LOL

lindalee Enthusiast
Okay so like its realy summer now, and my 90 min walks with my wife in the "cool" even hours are over. I cant take 85 degrees, never mind the 100+ we have been seeing. SO I pulled out my treadmill (and my trusty soddering iron to repair it...) and plan to jog on that for now.

This is where I should note I have a heart conditoin.... :D

But this hypoglycmia diet stuff is killing me wieght wise, up about 10 pounds since starting it. Today I ran for about 30 mins, and got about 2.2 miles in... horrid compared to what I did in HS, but time at a desk will do that do you! Thinkink I could try to do that every day for a while and see how it goes. That was about 4.5mph, but it was realy pushing it. In fact fell off once! :) Then did about 2 mins of cool down walking.

The odd thing that I cant figure out is my feet after a whiel get that pins and needles feeling like they are falling asleep.

So umm, what was I gonna ask again... OH YEA! Whats a good starting plan for this? My main goal realy is to exercise my heart, see if I cant get my ejection faction up before the next heart scan so I dont have to go on all kinds of wierdo meds!

Thanks!

Did you figure out what the pins and needles is? I have that sometimes also. LL

VydorScope Proficient
Did you figure out what the pins and needles is? I have that sometimes also. LL

No, but I would love to know...

CarlaB Enthusiast

If I wear my shoes very loose, I don't get this. Could it be the feet expanding as we exercise, then the shoes cut off circulation? My theory anyway.

lindalee Enthusiast
If I wear my shoes very loose, I don't get this. Could it be the feet expanding as we exercise, then the shoes cut off circulation? My theory anyway.

I think it is circulation maybe because I get it barefoot or with flip flops also. LL

CarlaB Enthusiast
I think it is circulation maybe because I get it barefoot or with flip flops also. LL

Hmm, must be something different for you than for me. I've actually thought of wearing Birkenstocks to the gym for the elliptical machine, but I just resorted to some cheap canvas shoes instead. As long as I wear them loose, I'm okay.

VydorScope Proficient

I have not tried losening cause then they flop around and cause blisters. So mabye I dunno.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I have not tried losening cause then they flop around and cause blisters. So mabye I dunno.

Your boots?? Or do you now have gym shoes? :lol: Maybe try loosening them only if/when they get tight.

VydorScope Proficient
Your boots?? Or do you now have gym shoes? :lol: Maybe try loosening them only if/when they get tight.

Boots :lol: Still not found running shoes that fit. :(

CarlaB Enthusiast
Boots :lol: Still not found running shoes that fit. :(

:lol::lol::lol: I was joking!! :lol::lol: I thought for sure you'd have shoes by now!

VydorScope Proficient

I think I am gonna try trail shoes instead of running shoes. I was thinking about the shoes I used to wear, and I think they were called cross trainers. When I looked at the "running" shoes they all had floppy toes and I think I do not like them, seem more sprinter like then distance like. But I could not find any shoe labeled "cross trainer" I think the "trail shoes" were more like what I rememeber.

Hmm Maybe I need to make to Acedmey sports they had a huge selection as I recall.

My foot is so hard to fit it usally takes a very long time with alot of shoe stores before I can find one pair...

CarlaB Enthusiast
I think I am gonna try trail shoes instead of running shoes. I was thinking about the shoes I used to wear, and I think they were called cross trainers. When I looked at the "running" shoes they all had floppy toes and I think I do not like them, seem more sprinter like then distance like. But I could not find any shoe labeled "cross trainer" I think the "trail shoes" were more like what I rememeber.

Hmm Maybe I need to make to Acedmey sports they had a huge selection as I recall.

My foot is so hard to fit it usally takes a very long time with alot of shoe stores before I can find one pair...

They still make cross trainers. Have you tried big stores like Dicks? Or those stores in the malls that specialize in athletic shoes? I don't know much about running shoes, and since I do the elliptical machine, which is non-impact, I don't have to worry much about the right shoes. But I know runners need to protect their legs.

The only thing I do know from buying my kids shoes for track, is that it's easier to run in shoes that are curved and designed for running. My son bought cross trainers (at Kohl's) and they didn't work as well as my daughter's running shoes.

Archived