Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrissy

Mcann's Oatmeal

i know that some of you use mcann's oatmeal without problems. i have found some flavored oatmeal packets made by mcann's. do you you think these would be safe to give my girls? they have eaten mcann's oatmeal out of the box without a problem.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i know that some of you use mcann's oatmeal without problems. i have found some flavored oatmeal packets made by mcann's. do you you think these would be safe to give my girls? they have eaten mcann's oatmeal out of the box without a problem.

I would call the company to check on the flavorings that were added. Personally I stay away from oatmeal as it is not worth the risk for me.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I have seen research, but I don't remember where, that they tested several batches of oats from different manufacturers, including McCanns, and they did detect gluten, but the amount varied quite a bit from batch to batch. I'd avoid oatmeal entirely just in case. Pity, the McCann's Irish oatmeal was wonderful - one of the things I miss.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

wasnt there a company online that sells gluten free oatmeal? I thought I saw a thread about it on here and I cannot find it now.

I would love to know it if anyone has it. Been dying for regular old granola. Thanks

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

The onling company is www.glutenfreeoats.com. I eat the oatmeal on a regular basis and have had great luck. I had bloodwork done in the spring and it came back good. Keep in mind that some people react to oats.

Hez

stephanie, i have the gluten free oats----my girls don't have a problem with them---i was just wanting to buy them some of those fun flavored instant packets-----i guess i could try and make some myself with my gluten free oats----but i would probably have to grind them a litttle in the blender since they are not quick oats.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Mccan's is the onlt oatmeal I eat and I have never had a prbolem with it. I eat both the maple and brown sugar ones and when I went for extra celiac blood work last year after being diagnosed (and I was eating oatmeal every morning at that time) the blood work came back clean.

Guest laydirain

Their website says......

"Are McCann's Oat products gluten free?

All McCann’s oat products are processed in a dedicated oatmeal mill that handles only oatmeal. In the supply chain between farm and mill, there is a possible cross contamination with other grains, such as wheat and barley but we reckon that the level of non-oat grains to be less than 0.05%. Cleaning equipment within the milling process would remove the vast majority of these grains along with other elements such as stones, straw etc.

But we cannot guarantee that McCann’s oats are totally gluten free and we recommend that consumers use their own judgement as to whether they wish to use our oatmeal or not. Many celiacs can tolerate our oatmeal products without any adverse effect but they may not suit those who are particularly sensitive."

I'm afraid of oats. In my very short (8 month) gluten free experience to date, eating a tortilla made with organic oats and oat fiber made me really sick. To me, it's not worth the risk.

That's just my experience. I don't want to rock the boat, so I stay away from oats.

I've had no issues with the non-flavored McCann's quick-cooking oats in the last six or so months and I eat them nearly every morning. I stay away from other oat and oat-containing products, but these seem to be just fine for me.

eleep

Erica

Inconclusive blood test results

Positive Enterolab results

Positive dietary results

gluten-free since 2/10/06