Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chgomom

Note To Give To Your Child's School Or Daycare

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Wow, that is just wonderful!! I have been worried about what I would do about my dd when she starts school! This is also a great list for me to refer to!!

Thank you so much for posting this!

ptkds :D

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

The only thing I question is the McDonalds info....you might want to take that out.....

I'm no expert or anything....but I found that on a school website

Quod me nutrit, me destruit

You might want to add oats to the list, too. Even if your child can eat uncontaminated oats, wheat hides in most oatmeal product recipes.

Nothing

First, thanks for posting this. It'll be great to have at my daughter's preschool Halloween party.

I saw TCBY on the list. I called TCBY over the summer, and they gave me the old "We can neither confirm nor deny the existence of gluten in our ice cream products" rigamarole.

I'd love to take my kids to TCBY, but I'm scared of this sort of statement from a company. Does anybody know if they're okay or not?

Mechelle

That's odd--Fritos aren't even mentioned (ingredients: corn, oil, salt), I could have sworn Lay's Staxx had wheat starch, and I remember reading on a thread here that TCBY does not guarantee that their frozen yogurt is gluten-free. :blink: (Wow, it would be nice if I'm wrong about the Staxx!)

That's odd--Fritos aren't even mentioned (ingredients: corn, oil, salt), I could have sworn Lay's Staxx had wheat starch, and I remember reading on a thread here that TCBY does not guarantee that their frozen yogurt is gluten-free. :blink: (Wow, it would be nice if I'm wrong about the Staxx!)

Lay Staxx is gluten-free, and they state its on a dediceted gluten-free line. Favored chip at our house :)

NOTE: Their are plenty of storys of DARIY contimantion in them, so if you have DAIRY problems, skip them.

Personaly I recomed AGAINST this list completely. We have tell our son's teachers, he can ONLY have food from his bag. This reduces the stress and concerns on the teachers and they just let us know if they plan to do anything with food so we can work somthing out ahead of time.

- Vincent -

Right ...right....

I mean this came from a site called ROCK...raising our celiac kids.....

Maybe something saying....that and a list of safe supplies?

Quod me nutrit, me destruit

Right ...right....

I mean this came from a site called ROCK...raising our celiac kids.....

Maybe something saying....that and a list of safe supplies?

We have a letter that we created and give to his teachers that says all that, and then we personally checked all thier art supplies/etc an provided them with gluten-free alternatives (gluten-free Playdough, etc).

If you do the foot work for the teachers, and make it easy on them,I believe you will find everything tends to go much better in most cases.

Do what you think best, but our son has only been glutened once since we started with this at his school, and it was just cause the teacher caught it seconds to late (toddlers can eat a cooke pretty darn fast when they know they should not!)

I have not done more then skim that list, but if you wish to use it I would HIGHLY suggest you check EVERYTHING on it, things change fast and these list have to be constantly checked. For exmaple 2 months ago Cocoa puffs was a great gluten-free treat, then with out ANY notice they changed the recipe and now it contains Wheat Starch. Stuff like that constantly happens. Which is yet another reason I would not give a list like that....

- Vincent -

Guest motherof6
I've been curious about TCBY and Dairy Queen......

I know Breyers All NAtural at the store is ok....

I downloaded that newbie starter kit that nini offered and Dairy Queen soft serve according to that, was gluten free. We always get the Ice cream cakes special ordered without cookie crumbs for birthdays and so far we have had no problems.

Jodi