Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lilmama

I Was Doing So Good

UGH I was doing so good w/keeping wheat and gluten out of my diet until tonight. I was making meatloaf used gluten/wheat free corn flake instead of bread crumbs. Then I add Lipton beefy onion soup mix. Never thought to look just used it out of habit. Now I'm paying the price. I however did dicover that the goodvalue brand tomatoe sauce is gluten free .

I have yet another question stupid one at that. I'm so lost on this whole wheat free gluten free thing. If its gluten free it can strill have wheat in it right? and visa versa right? I read then read more and end up confussing myself. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Gluten free means there is no wheat, barley, rye, or oats*.

Wheat free means there is no wheat.

So, wheat free may still have barley, rye, or oats - which are sources of gluten.

But gluten free cannot have wheat.

(*this depends on the manufacturer - you still have to read the ingredient list.)

As for the soup mix... It happens. You're in the process of breaking a habit developed over years, if not decades, and one that you see EVERYONE else around you use. This is why it is important to ALWAYS CHECK THE LABEL, but it can be a difficult habit to break, not checking what's in the ingredients of what you're eating. One solution is to only bring into the home foods that are gluten free, or segregate those that are not gluten free to a small area of the kitchen that you do not use. (In my house, it is "The shelf of evil." I can't reach it anyway. :D)

(It's kinda disturbing when you think about it, but it is a habit we've all exhibited to some degree, and there's something to be said, psychologically, to have some level of safety in the most basic of human needs.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Lipton Onion Dried Soup is the ONLY Lipton dry soup that is gluten free. Onion Beef is not. I use the onion alot and have not problems.

You can still cook, but only the Lipton Onion.....and still have the same taste. Sorry that you are feeling bad.

Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Guest cassidy

There is a steep learning curve with this diet. It is hard to learn new cooking techniques and substitute ingredients for things you have made for years. I'm sure you will learn from every mistake and it will happen less and less. I got myself sick all the time in the beginning and now it only happens if I eat out - never at home.

Hope you feel better.

I have done that before, use something and then remember the label afterwards. It's just a habit that we all have to develop. Hope you feel better soon.

Diagnosed celiac disease July 5, 2007

Starting over on the gluten free diet

I have done that before, use something and then remember the label afterwards. It's just a habit that we all have to develop. Hope you feel better soon.

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

Thanks everyone for you kind words and advice. I'm feeling ok today. My doc gave me zelnorm to help remove food faster from my system but that stuff is wicked on an already on upset gut.