Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ReneCox

Another Girl Question

when I began the gluten-free diet two months ago, i was two weeks late for my normally regular period. Then I had a period again about three weeks later. Today I started again! Its only been two weeks since my last one started? Does this have anything to do with the gluten-free diet? Ive NEVER had anything like this happen!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It could be a result of going glutenfree, inasmuch as your body is trying to reset itself. It could also be that you are having other problems. You need to see your doctor to determine which it is.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

It may be nothing but if goes on much longer you should see a doctor. I spotted for 2 years before I went gluten free and the last year was everyday. The doctor could not find anything wrong and said my body must be going through a phase. I went gluten free and about 3 months everything is normal like it was about 3 years ago.

I agree with everyone else; you should probably see the doc, esp. if you have insurance. That said, my period changed when I went gluten-free -- sometimes it is so light it is ridiculous; other months it is normal. I thought at first it was normalizing (with the normalizing of hormones), but it seems just as wacky as ever.

Extra periods, though, can be a sign of various things. If you have any other bleeding (gums, little red dots on top of your feet or where your seatbelt hits you), or bruising, you could have a blood platelet problem. It is unlikely, but I've had that and an extra period was one way to tell.

Take care.