This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can You Make Your Own Rice Flour?

Q1821

Q1821 Apprentice

Does anyone know if you can make your own rice flour? Is it as simple as griding up normal rice or is it more than that? Any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AmyTopolski Apprentice

Any flour that you want to make yourself is just the grain (rice - any kind). If you want to do it you would have to invest in a grain mill. They aren't cheep, but they are worth it!

Amy

chrissy Collaborator

i grind rice flour.

jennyj Collaborator

Silly question???? Minute rice or long grain white rice????

AmyTopolski Apprentice
Silly question???? Minute rice or long grain white rice????

Not minute rice. And there are no silly questions.

Amy

bluejeangirl Contributor

I was thinking about getting a mill to grind brown rice as I need it. I would be sure of it being fresh that way since the oils can get rancid. So my husband was going to get something at out local health store and I had him ask the owner what is the best brand. He told my husband to get one with a hand grinder because the motor on the electric ones get so hot. So I take it the heat from the motor must damage the flour in some way. Just guessing since I wasn't there. Has anyone heard of this?

Gail

cchhrriiss Newbie

I grind medium grain brown rice in my 50.00 coffee mill. I use it for bread and muffins daily. It has saved me sooo much money. I was using my 10.00 coffee mill, but I blew the engine when I put in great northern beans. I have heard that if you are going to get a grain mill that k-tec is pretty good. I will probally get one because I like using the great northern bean flour.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

i have a nutrimill and it does a really good job.

HWCO Newbie

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but have also been considering making my own rice flour. I've been using the Authentic Foods finely milled brown rice flour. Can anyone who has tried making their own tell me if they can get it as fine as the Authentic Foods rice flour?

I've also thought about trying it with jasmine rice. Anyone tried this?

Thanks!

Ray

Q1821 Apprentice

I just made some with Jasmine rice, but haven't baked with it yet. Does anyone know if you have to soak the rice before you grind it? I read that you should soak it 2-3 hours, then grind it with some of the water, place it in a cloth bag to drain the water. Then allow to dry before storing. Does anyone else do this?

chrissy Collaborator

you can't grind with water in a regular grain mill. rice takes a little longer to grind because it is a hard grain, but you don't want it wet.

Mom to Many Newbie
Does anyone know if you can make your own rice flour? Is it as simple as griding up normal rice or is it more than that? Any ideas?

I use a kitchen mill to grind my own rice flour. (It is a steel blade grinder like the whisper mill and the nutrimill.)

Be aware that sticky rice ground is the same as Sweet Rice flour. It is not the same as regular long grain rice.

I grind regular old long grain rice for Rice Flour.

We broke up Fava beans in a course corn grinder from the 1900s that was in our family. Then we put the Fava beans through The Kitchen Mill. But, here is the but, The Fava beans created a whole lot of racket in my grinder since they are VERY hard. I did not feel comfortable putting them through my kitchen mill. I also ground garbanzo beans. It seemed like it handled them a bit better than the Fava beans, but the grinder sounded labored.

I have felt much more comfortable with other types of beans, ie white beans, pinto etc...

Read the directions on your grinder and see what it is approved for. I bought my "The Kitchen Mill" here in Utah. I think the company is called Blend Tech. It used to be K-teck or maybe still is called k-tech. Google it and see I guess.

Do not try to grind beans or rice with a stone grinder. It will gum the stone up.

Also check out oriental markets. In Utah I buy potato starch, tapioca starch at an oriental market. They also sell fine rice flour at a deal of a price.

I grind brown rice for baking in my kitchen mill and use it interchangeably with white rice flour.

Just a word of warning "the Ktichen Mill" is as loud as a jet airplane. THe other mills are a bit quieter. But, the price was lower for mine. So I bought it. :)

---------

Archived