Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buck22

Still Losing Weight

I've been trying so hard to stay gluten (and corn) free and have been mostly successful over the past few weeks, but I'm still losing weight. I understand that it can take a while, but I'm eating as much as I can and still the scale goes backwards. I have a few of questions:

1. How much of a setback does an accidental glutening cause? Do the villi go completely flat again immediately or does it take time and sustained glutening before you redamage them as severely as you did before you knew what was happening?

2. Is there and drug or herb that will speed up the villi healing process?

3. Is it easier for flattened villi to extract nutrients from liquids or solids, or does it not make a difference? Any specific foods whose nutrients are easier for sick villi to absorb?

Thank you,

Richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've been trying so hard to stay gluten (and corn) free and have been mostly successful over the past few weeks, but I'm still losing weight. I understand that it can take a while, but I'm eating as much as I can and still the scale goes backwards. I have a few of questions:

1. How much of a setback does an accidental glutening cause? Do the villi go completely flat again immediately or does it take time and sustained glutening before you redamage them as severely as you did before you knew what was happening?

3. Is it easier for flattened villi to extract nutrients from liquids or solids, or does it not make a difference? Any specific foods whose nutrients are easier for sick villi to absorb?

Thank you,

Richard

I have the same problem as you. From all I've been through I have dropped so much weight and I can not seem to gain any. I would like the same questions answered as you. Also what can we take for bruising?

Bobbie,

tested positive for celiac 2007

Gall bladder removed 2007

D/C a month after daughter was born 2005

Low Blood Pressure

Fainting disorder

food allergy to Dairy, pork,fish,most peanut butter,nutra sweet,aspartam and more to be determined.

I don't have answers for you (I'm new too.) But I think if you're having these issues you may need the support of a dietician. Certainly your doctor should want/need to help you so you don't become (more) malnorished.

I still have the opposite problem (overweight) but wonder if I'm malnorished, too. Talking to my doctor next Tuesday. Strange paradox.

Good luck!

~Laura

Thank you,

Richard

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

I don't have answers for you (I'm new too.) But I think if you're having these issues you may need the support of a dietician. Certainly your doctor should want/need to help you so you don't become (more) malnorished.

I still have the opposite problem (overweight) but wonder if I'm malnorished, too. Talking to my doctor next Tuesday. Strange paradox.

Good luck!

~Laura

you will come to find that the people on here know why more then a dietitian. I was told by the dietitian its ok to eat wheat as long as its not a lot but, thats not true.Welcome to the board!

Bobbie,

tested positive for celiac 2007

Gall bladder removed 2007

D/C a month after daughter was born 2005

Low Blood Pressure

Fainting disorder

food allergy to Dairy, pork,fish,most peanut butter,nutra sweet,aspartam and more to be determined.