This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Handy Chart To Bookmark

bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl Contributor

I don't know if this link was inserted right but if it works I thought it would be nice to keep handy when you have a question about certain ingredients. I thought it was interesting what it said about Casein.

Gail

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor

I haven't read through the whole chart yet, but I found the very first listing to be odd. It says that Albumin is "a component (protein) from the serum of animal blood"? Although this is technically true, albumin is also known as egg whites. If you see this listed as food ingredient, it likely means that egg whites are in the product.

Michelle

tarnalberry Community Regular

unfortunately, its got some bad information.

not every celiac needs to avoid casein. it is *not* so structurally similar that all celiacs react to it (in fact, most research does *not* support cross-reactivity theory on these two proteins.)

additionally, not all hvp is bad. hydrolyzed vegetable protein can be made from corn or soy, for instance, and be perfectly safe for celiacs. it's one of those things that you have to check, though most cases will be labeled if it's bad for celiacs because wheat is far more common that barley, rye, or oat.

UR Groovy Explorer
I haven't read through the whole chart yet, but I found the very first listing to be odd. It says that Albumin is "a component (protein) from the serum of animal blood"? Although this is technically true, albumin is also known as egg whites. If you see this listed as food ingredient, it likely means that egg whites are in the product.

Michelle

Just wanted to mention that Albumin is a blood protein also. It is what my diagnosis is based on - I have a deficiency of this blood protein due to 'spillage' and it makes up a large portion of the blood plasma in humans. My diagnosis is a kidney disease. :)

Michi8 Contributor
Just wanted to mention that Albumin is a blood protein also. It is what my diagnosis is based on - I have a deficiency of this blood protein due to 'spillage' and it makes up a large portion of the blood plasma in humans. My diagnosis is a kidney disease. :)

Thank you for the clarification. This list is of food additives, however, so I question how often one would find blood protein, as opposed to egg white, in commercially prepared food products.

Michelle

UR Groovy Explorer
Thank you for the clarification. This list is of food additives, however, so I question how often one would find blood protein, as opposed to egg white, in commercially prepared food products.

Michelle

True that. I don't think blood is a common additive. ;)

edited: I'm a little slow. Missed the technically part - I'm guilty of this much of the time. I must learn to listen better.

bluejeangirl Contributor
unfortunately, its got some bad information.

not every celiac needs to avoid casein. it is *not* so structurally similar that all celiacs react to it (in fact, most research does *not* support cross-reactivity theory on these two proteins.)

Thanks Tiffany for clearing this up. It didn't sound right to me and I'm sure we would of heard more about it by now if that were true.

Gail

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
newglutenfreeRD Newbie
I don't know if this link was inserted right but if it works I thought it would be nice to keep handy when you have a question about certain ingredients. I thought it was interesting what it said about Casein.

Gail

Open Original Shared Link

Beware, much of the information on the list at that weblink is inaccurate.

Archived