Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mm&j

Low Blood Levels Anyone Else?

Hi, for years my platelet levels and white blood cell counts have been fluctuating low to lower to almost normal. I was diagnosed with celiac and have been gluten free for 2 months. My celiac levels have improved somewhat in that time which indicates some improvement and I am feeling much better, also, as far as fatique, bone pain, weakness, etc...I never had any GI symptoms. Anyway with my last blood test my platelet and white blood count levels have dropped even more and this concerns me. Anyone else with simalar low blood levels or any possible answers. Should I be worried?

Thanks for any help.

mm&j (Susie)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have had low platelets and borderline low white counts for a while. My white count is finally up to normal. My platelets range anywhere from 89,000-130,000. This is called ITP. It is an autoimmune disorder which causes the spleen to attack platelets. As long as they stay above 30,000 you are usually ok. I get mine tested every six months. There are some others on here with this, hopefully they will respond. White counts will go up if there is a bacterial infection, and will go down if there is viral. Maybe you have a low level viral infection going on. When I had the flu this year mine went down to 2.5. but are now up to 6.7 - the highest in years. I read that optimal is 7.

I have had low platelets and borderline low white counts for a while. My white count is finally up to normal. My platelets range anywhere from 89,000-130,000. This is called ITP. It is an autoimmune disorder which causes the spleen to attack platelets. As long as they stay above 30,000 you are usually ok. I get mine tested every six months. There are some others on here with this, hopefully they will respond. White counts will go up if there is a bacterial infection, and will go down if there is viral. Maybe you have a low level viral infection going on. When I had the flu this year mine went down to 2.5. but are now up to 6.7 - the highest in years. I read that optimal is 7.

Thanks for responding. I didn't think anyone was going to since it isn't the most exciting of topics. I was scared that it might have something to do with the lymphoma that you hear about increased incidence of in people with Celiac disease.