Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

horsegirl

Blood Tests Relevant To Me Now?

I've been gluten free since January `07 in hopes of alleviating my symptoms of fibromyalgia,

& it's been very successful. However, after reading many websites like this one, & reading

various books, I'm wondering if I have undiagnosed Celiac (or gluten intolerance of some degree).

So, I've made an appointment with my primary doc, but he can't get me in until late July.

Does anyone know if it's going to be too late to order the blood panels for Celiac disease?

I really don't want to go back on gluten again because the pain is agonizing when I eat it

(muscle & joint pain, horrible fatigue, brain fog). Should I still have him order the tests?

Should I invest in the Enterolab (stool & DNA) tests too? Are they reputable?

Any help is appreciated; I'm new to all of this. Thanks!

Diagnosed Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis in multiple joints 12/06

Diagnosed gluten intolerant through dietary trials 8/07

Enterolab positive for gluten, casein, soy, egg

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Gluten free 8/10/07

Casein free 8/27/07

Soy & egg free 9/8/07

Eggs back again (whoo hoo!) 11/08

Diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome 12/09

Starting various supplements/vitamins in hopes of feeling better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

As far as I know the blood tests would be pretty unreliable. Maybe if you had numbers that were really bad they would be low, but I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

Enterolab can tell you whether you have the antibodies. They'd be lower as well but they say they can test up to a year gluten free. If you want anything on paper then it would probably be best to go with Enterolab.

Most doctors don't accept them but some do.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

I am glad you have gotten relief from the diet. Enterolab, as stated is going to be the way to go since you have been gluten-free since January. But with the resolution you have had of your problems you now know it was gluten that was causing them in the first place. The only treatment for gluten intolerance or celiac is the diet so you are doing the right thing anyway. The diet is healthy and you don't need your doctors permission to do it.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)