Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mouth

*****fyi***********&Link to website

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi

Does it have soy in the vit E or A as some do?

probably not dairy or casein or peanuts

thanks for the info

I had no idea that there was gluten in sun screen. Which brands have gluten? I use the spray on ones from the can (store brand). I have melanoma and need to be careful in the sun. I can't believe I may have been glutening myself all this time. Thanks for the info.

Donna

Guest Doll

I don't understand how someone can get glutened by sunscreen. If you got some in your mouth, would you not know it right away? Don't most people wash their hands after they put on sunscreen? :unsure:

I can see spray cans being an issue, but no one should get sunscreen in their mouth!

I use that exclusively on my bunch. It works so well and doesn't wash off easily. It is especially good if other sunscreens irritate your skin.

Hi, thanx for that info. If you email them, they will send you a free sample and coupons. Ok? Lynn :lol:

Hi

Does it have soy in the vit E or A as some do?

probably not dairy or casein or peanuts

thanks for the info

Dear Judy,

I am sorry, That I do not know, but if you email them go to www.coolibar.com they will give you direct web address. If you email them you should have a response with in 24 hours. I did. They are also sending me a sample and coupons. you can also order it on line..

Good luck!!!! :D Lynn

I had no idea that there was gluten in sun screen. Which brands have gluten? I use the spray on ones from the can (store brand). I have melanoma and need to be careful in the sun. I can't believe I may have been glutening myself all this time. Thanks for the info.

Donna

Dear Donna,

I am so sorry, I do not know which brands have gluten. I do know that Coppertone is supposed to be gluten-free. ALL Blue Lizard are gluten-free. They also have sunscreen protection against UVA AND UVB SUN RAYS.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! Maybe you should let your oncologist know about this one, because it protects against both types of rays...

Sincerely,

Lynn

I don't understand how someone can get glutened by sunscreen. If you got some in your mouth, would you not know it right away? Don't most people wash their hands after they put on sunscreen? :unsure:

I can see spray cans being an issue, but no one should get sunscreen in their mouth!

Dear Doll,

Well, I thought so also, until I went to a Gluten Free Fair we had here in April, and it made me think. WHAT happens when you put make up on your face?? It gets absorbed into your skin... What happens when you wear Lipstick?? It ends up in your mouth..

Ok, May Kay has some gluten-free stuff. This is another Co that makes ALOT of gluten-free makeup and skin care, and body care and hair care. If you contact her, tell her I gave you the info. My name is LYNN. Here it is: CO: Nuskin. You can contact Kathy. Her email address is: mackeyk@bigplanet.com or makceyc@edifax.com Her phone number is 1 (757) 206-7140 ok.. GOOD LUCK.

THE GREAT THING ABOUT BLUE LIZARD IS THAT IT PROTECTS AGAINST UVA AND UVB RAYS!!

CONGRATS ON YOUR WEDDING.!!!!!!!!! SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL BE WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

SINCERELY,

LYNN

Guest Doll
Dear Doll,

Well, I thought so also, until I went to a Gluten Free Fair we had here in April, and it made me think. WHAT happens when you put make up on your face?? It gets absorbed into your skin... What happens when you wear Lipstick?? It ends up in your mouth..

Ok, May Kay has some gluten-free stuff. This is another Co that makes ALOT of gluten-free makeup and skin care, and body care and hair care. If you contact her, tell her I gave you the info. My name is LYNN. Here it is: CO: Nuskin. You can contact Kathy. Her email address is: mackeyk@bigplanet.com or makceyc@edifax.com Her phone number is 1 (757) 206-7140 ok.. GOOD LUCK.

THE GREAT THING ABOUT BLUE LIZARD IS THAT IT PROTECTS AGAINST UVA AND UVB RAYS!!

CONGRATS ON YOUR WEDDING.!!!!!!!!! SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL BE WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

SINCERELY,

LYNN

Thanks! I'm really excited about the wedding! Everyone has to eat gluten-free...and there's no escaping it! :D

I am with you 100% on gluten-free lipsticks and other stuff that may get in your mouth..but I still use topical products that contain gluten, like body lotion and makeup (I always wash my hands after I apply it, in case I eat something with my hands). Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, and even if it could, it would need to be absorbed through the intestines to cause a reaction in Celiacs. I use Lancome Star Gloss (gluten-free) but I think they have discontiuned it. Thanks for the Mary Kay heads up...I know they have nice glosses!

Cheers!

I just added this from Clan Thompson, it helps explain what I am trying to say a little better! You can use your favorite products without worry (if you are careful to avoid CC onto your hands). I always wash with gluten-free soap before I eat anything with my hands, this takes care of CC. Please note that if you have a true gluten *allergy* and not Celiac,(IgE mediated), you might need to avoid topical gluten.

Q & A

Return to ->Ask the Doctor->Dermatitis Herpetiformis

QUESTION: I have heard that gluten is only a problem for celiacs if it's ingested and that we shouldn't worry about gluten in things like lipstick, lotions, or shampoo. Do people with DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) need to avoid skin contact with gluten? If not, why do so many complain that they react to any contact, even skin contact? What about something like lipstick or toothpaste which might be ingested? Should they be avoided? Thanks for your help.

DR. ZONE: There is always great concern about the possibility of topical gluten products causing problems. To start out with, gluten is not absorbed through the skin. There is little question about this. Topical gluten does not worsen dermatitis herpetiformis and it does not worsen celiac disease. If the topical product is eaten or licked as might be the case in lipstick, then the person is essentially eating that product and it would make sense that it would then be a problem. The same is true of toothpaste. I am well aware that many patients state that when they come in contact with gluten containing compounds that they cause problems. However, I do not know of any scientific basis for this and have a great deal of difficulty believing that this is activating celiac disease or dermatitis herpetiformis.

Don't most people wash their hands after they put on sunscreen?

I often put sunscreen on when I am away from home or a sink - out in the woods hiking, out on the water kayaking, out randomly walking around the city with friends, out along a beach, at a random corner on my bike, etc. So, no, I don't wash my hands. I don't usually wash my hands when I put on sunblock at home either, since sunburns on the back of your hands hurt rather a lot. :)

Dear Donna,

I am so sorry, I do not know which brands have gluten. I do know that Coppertone is supposed to be gluten-free. ALL Blue Lizard are gluten-free. They also have sunscreen protection against UVA AND UVB SUN RAYS.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! Maybe you should let your oncologist know about this one, because it protects against both types of rays...

Sincerely,

Lynn

Thanks Lynn, I am definitely go to look for this sunscreen

Thanks Lynn, I am definitely go to look for this sunscreen

Donna,

Hi, again. I know that I saw it in Stop N' Shop here by me (in Nassau) but, a small tube was expensive. Let me find the letter I got from them.. Send me an email with your address and I'll forward a copy of the letter to you. That way you can write to them, or order a larger size. It seemed cheaper that way. The tube in the store I saw was 9.99 for a tiny tube, but you can order mega sized on line or call and order..

Lynn

nm here it is. www.customerservice@crownlaboratories.com but now go and look up at the article from DR. ZONE.. I AM NOW SO CONFUSED...

Donna

NOW FOR MORE COFUSION.. GO AND LOOK AT THE LETTER FROM DR. ZONE.

LYNN

Donna,

Hi, again. I know that I saw it in Stop N' Shop here by me (in Nassau) but, a small tube was expensive. Let me find the letter I got from them.. Send me an email with your address and I'll forward a copy of the letter to you. That way you can write to them, or order a larger size. It seemed cheaper that way. The tube in the store I saw was 9.99 for a tiny tube, but you can order mega sized on line or call and order..

Lynn

nm here it is. www.customerservice@crownlaboratories.com but now go and look up at the article from DR. ZONE.. I AM NOW SO CONFUSED...

Thanks again Lynn. I shop at the Stop N Shop in Bellmore. As per the article from Dr. Zone we really might not need a gluten-free sunscreen if we wash our hands before eating. That is what I suspected anyway. I prepare non-gluten-free foods for my family and don't have any problems as long as I wash my hands right away. Hand washing is key in cutting down CC problems.

I think I will try the sun screen anyway since I do have melanoma. Thanks again for the info.

Donna

Thanks again Lynn. I shop at the Stop N Shop in Bellmore. As per the article from Dr. Zone we really might not need a gluten-free sunscreen if we wash our hands before eating. That is what I suspected anyway. I prepare non-gluten-free foods for my family and don't have any problems as long as I wash my hands right away. Hand washing is key in cutting down CC problems.

I think I will try the sun screen anyway since I do have melanoma. Thanks again for the info.

Donna

Dear Donna

HI, I talked to my ROCK (Raising Our Celiac Kids) leader and she said yes it is important. Why? Where does stuff put on your skin go?? IT GETS ABSORBED INTO YOUR SKIN. If you wear lipstick where does it go? In your mouth and on faces of other people- or on their mouth... etc.. I say why take the chance?? I bought my self and my daughter lipstick from a gluten-free lipstick maker, and it stays on great !!!!!!!!! Now I also dont have to worry about my daughter trying my lipstick either!!!!! :)

Lynn

Ps-- LOOK FOR A NEW FYI----- ITS FOR A ROCK FUNDRAISER IN NASSAU COUNTY... LYNN

Guest Doll
Dear Donna

HI, I talked to my ROCK (Raising Our Celiac Kids) leader and she said yes it is important. Why? Where does stuff put on your skin go?? IT GETS ABSORBED INTO YOUR SKIN. If you wear lipstick where does it go? In your mouth and on faces of other people- or on their mouth... etc.. I say why take the chance?? I bought my self and my daughter lipstick from a gluten-free lipstick maker, and it stays on great !!!!!!!!! Now I also dont have to worry about my daughter trying my lipstick either!!!!! :)

Lynn

Ps-- LOOK FOR A NEW FYI----- ITS FOR A ROCK FUNDRAISER IN NASSAU COUNTY... LYNN

GLUTEN CANNOT BE ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN. EVEN IF IT COULD, IT NEEDS TO BE EATEN TO CAUSE A REACTION IN CELIACS. Liptstick should be gluten-free, because it can be ingested (goes into your mouth and stomach).

"absorbed into the skin" does not necessarily mean absorbed into the blood stream and then into the intestinal tract, by the way. and there are many things which are temporarily absorbed, and later flushed back out. not to mention the fact that something as large as a gluten protein is going to need something to help it enter the skin. (patch-based medication usually has other chemicals which facilitate the transfer of the drug into the skin, and that mechanism - going in via the skin to get to the blood stream - avoids the digestive system entirely.)

Guest Doll
"absorbed into the skin" does not necessarily mean absorbed into the blood stream and then into the intestinal tract, by the way. and there are many things which are temporarily absorbed, and later flushed back out. not to mention the fact that something as large as a gluten protein is going to need something to help it enter the skin. (patch-based medication usually has other chemicals which facilitate the transfer of the drug into the skin, and that mechanism - going in via the skin to get to the blood stream - avoids the digestive system entirely.)

Gluten would have to be broken down into individual harmless amino acids to be absorbed into the skin/bloodstream. There is no evidence to support gluten as being absorbed through the skin, even if people believe this. Topical gluten is harmless unless you have a IgE gluten allergy (NOT Celiac). Think about it this way: If gluten was absorbed whole into the skin (which it cannot be), ANYONE would have a severe allergic reaction to it. It is a whole foreign protein and the body's immune system would freak out. Anyone with Celiac who has been glutened (their leaky gut mistakenly lets in a whole gluten molecule before it can be broken down) knows this very well! :o

In order to get the intestinal damage seen in Celiacs on top of that allergic reaction, the gluten would have to also be ingested.

That said, I am pretty sure it is safe to use topical gluten products as long as you wash your hands after. For sunscreen, no one should be eating without washing their hands first, gluten-free or not! Yuck! I don't think eating something with sunscreen residue on it is good for anyone! I wash my hands, then apply sunscreen to the back of my hands by putting the sunscreen on my forearm, then dipping the back of the hand in it. I can't have anything on the palms of my hands because I need to always be able to test my blood sugar (anything on my fingers can interfere with the result). You can also wash your hands before you eat, or use sliverware.

It really is personal choice for most Celiac adults to use gluten-free products or not, and it is up to them. I feel that Celiac has taken enough from me, I don't want to give up my favorite products or use products I don't like when there is no real reason to do so. :D

blue lizard isn't unique in protection against UVA and UVB protection. the reason it does a good job at this is because it's main active ingredient is zinc oxide, which has a very wide absorption spectrum. (well, reflective spectrum, really...) there are a number of other sunblocks that have zinc oxide (and titanium dioxide, which further expands the spectrum covered) that are safe. I personally prefer all terrain's sunblock, as it is far less greasy than blue lizard, which is more like standard sunscreens.

Donna

ANOTHER SUBJECT:

CELIAC DISEASE FUNDRAISER

August 27th 2007

11:30 A.M. till 11:30 P.M.

Come join us:

Pizzeria Uno Chicago Grill

693 Sunrise Highway

Lynbrook, N.Y.11563

Gluten Free Menu Is Available!!

Up to 20% of your check will go to the:

Center for Celiac Research at the

University of Maryland

A certificate stating you are for the fundraiser is

needed to participate and must be presented at the time of payment.If interested please contact me and I will send out to you as many as needed.

Angela Silverstein(516)593-2904

Email:venusangmm1@optonline.net

Thank you kindly for all your support!

Gluten would have to be broken down into individual harmless amino acids to be absorbed into the skin/bloodstream. There is no evidence to support gluten as being absorbed through the skin, even if people believe this. Topical gluten is harmless unless you have a IgE gluten allergy (NOT Celiac). Think about it this way: If gluten was absorbed whole into the skin (which it cannot be), ANYONE would have a severe allergic reaction to it. It is a whole foreign protein and the body's immune system would freak out. Anyone with Celiac who has been glutened (their leaky gut mistakenly lets in a whole gluten molecule before it can be broken down) knows this very well! :o

In order to get the intestinal damage seen in Celiacs on top of that allergic reaction, the gluten would have to also be ingested.

That said, I am pretty sure it is safe to use topical gluten products as long as you wash your hands after. For sunscreen, no one should be eating without washing their hands first, gluten-free or not! Yuck! I don't think eating something with sunscreen residue on it is good for anyone! I wash my hands, then apply sunscreen to the back of my hands by putting the sunscreen on my forearm, then dipping the back of the hand in it. I can't have anything on the palms of my hands because I need to always be able to test my blood sugar (anything on my fingers can interfere with the result). You can also wash your hands before you eat, or use sliverware.

It really is personal choice for most Celiac adults to use gluten-free products or not, and it is up to them. I feel that Celiac has taken enough from me, I don't want to give up my favorite products or use products I don't like when there is no real reason to do so. :D

What about lipstick? It ends up in your mouth???

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana