This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Air Travel

JSmith

JSmith Newbie

We will be travelling from Winnipeg (Canada) to Disney World. There will be 2 full days (1 down and 1 back) in airports. We go through Toronto and Philadelphia on the way and Chicago on the way home.

Everything I've read on the message board says don't eat in the airport.

So, what the heck can we take?

My husband is not the type to survive on pretzels all day. He is a big guy and works out all the time. We will take some protein bars but he needs real food. Salads wouldn't even cut it if he could get them. We can't take ice packs because they are liquid. So that means no meat, cheese. We can't take fruit or veg across the boarder. What am I going to do with him?

Jodie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Because we were going to eat breakfast in the airport due to an early morning flight, I made pancakes and fried some ham ahead of time and put it in a disposable container and even put a little syrup on top and froze it. In the am of the trip I just pulled it out grabbed some fruit and by the time we got to our first stop, everything was defrosted. I didn't even need to warm it up. I brought a couple of packages of gluten-free crackers(one brand sells them in a bundle of 3 smaller packages) and a can of smoked tuna slices in oil. I bought some fruit in the airport. I also found some gluten-free sausage sticks-Welshire Farms, the snack kind to bring with and brought some gluten-free bread and I found a small baby jar of jam at CostPlus. Tastybite meals are good if you can get them I wouldn't hesitate to ask if someone could warm it up for me. That and a salad purchased at the airport could be a meal.

jmd3 Contributor
We will be travelling from Winnipeg (Canada) to Disney World. There will be 2 full days (1 down and 1 back) in airports. We go through Toronto and Philadelphia on the way and Chicago on the way home.

Everything I've read on the message board says don't eat in the airport.

So, what the heck can we take?

My husband is not the type to survive on pretzels all day. He is a big guy and works out all the time. We will take some protein bars but he needs real food. Salads wouldn't even cut it if he could get them. We can't take ice packs because they are liquid. So that means no meat, cheese. We can't take fruit or veg across the boarder. What am I going to do with him?

Jodie

I had to go across the boarder - my two doc's - gi and family doc - each wrote a note that I had to carry gluten free drink and food with me at all times. I only had a hard time leaving the us - every where else was fine.

You can take the fresh fruit/veg's on - I don't think you can leave the plane with them - that would be fine if they are eaten on the plane.

canned tuna/chicken

gluten-free crackers to put the chicken or tuna on.

pretzels

chips

canned fruit - not fresh

bag of gluten-free cookies

special snack bars - like lara, etc.

Make sure you put some of those things in your suitcase for on the way home....but put them in a ziploc incase they open.

There is really a lot of things you will be able to take, remember it is a vacation, so have fun!

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I have a doctor

munchkinette Collaborator

I have no idea what other foods are off limits for you, but here's what I take:

I warm up corn tortillas in the toaster so they are flexible. I add a slice of cheese so it melts a bit. Then I put a few slices of lunch meat (turkey) in it, and make a wrap. I put a few into a ziploc bag while they are still warm.

I've taken these on air trips, ski trips, etc.

Will your airline serve meals on that trip? I recently traveled United, and their gluten-free meals were pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
michelleL Apprentice

I pack a sandwich using gluten-free bread, a trail mix with nuts and dried fruits, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, and one time I had baked a loaf of gluten-free lemon tea bread so I'd have a lil' something to munch on for sure without the hassle of scrounging around at my destination and ended up eating some of it for dinner 'cuz my flight got delayed 4 hours.....

Archived